Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Propane???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mr.Chevy4x4, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Anyone running propane in their offroad rig? I am seriously considering it instead of FI.

Mike

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The tank and it's location was why I decided against propane. The loss in power was another factor, and when combined with the fact it isn't nearly as cheap as it used to be I couldn't think of a good reason to use it.

Locating a tank in a K5 is kinda tough. You're more or less stuck putting it where the old gas tank was, and that's a little too vulnerable to rocks for my liking.

Rene

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Rene,

I am planning on mounting it behind the rear seat. We don't have inspections here in Alabama so I can get away with that. We ran propane on all of our farm trucks in West Texas where I grew up and I never heard of a tank rupture, so I am not too concerned about having it in the cab. I think it will be more protected that way. I think there is about a 10% to 15% drop in power and with 330HP now I'm not too concerned with a little loss.

Mike

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i did a post on this about 2 weeks ago in this forum and the first gen, there is a lot of info here on the site if you search and the pirate offroad is a really good write up.

on the web there is

tom jeenings book
    its long but worth it

fuel locator
    this is reall y good for the road trip questions.also any koa campground in the US carries propane.

i found out i can get a large tank at my house to fuel up the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and not have to pay road tax. so you might consider that. the reason its for the tractor and not the house is so you can get the connector . its different than the grill bottle kind.

i am gonna do this as soon as i get home. Opinions definatley vary one way or the other but like was said earlier at 330 hp you want miss it. if you run up your compression you want lose as much or as much gas mileage. also i wouldnt run a dual set up. too many comprimises in that to make it as efficient as it can be. I am gonna run 2 small tanks in place of one big one. same volume but less space , and its going back where my stock tank went.

hope this helps

nathan
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif69K5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I thought your rig was forsale /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

I never said what I was putting it on!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

mike

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status