Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proper diet to gain muscle mass and to repair/increase health ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 24, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i need ot learn/research how to properly/healthily gain muscle mass, for a person such as me who is a skinny bean pole(6 foot and 140lbs) and has no body fat and no energy and has always been this way, i already have really good arm and leg strength, just have no visible muscles, i can lift about anything, evne if my back locks up for a few days afterwards, i surprise ppl all the time with what i can lift move, i am always assuminlgy weak with being a beanpole, but thats false and ppl find that out real quick if i go to work for them,

but anyways what exercises should i start doing and how often, what foods to avoid, what foods to get, and what supplements/vitamins to get/avoid, etc ?

how do i find out information such as this? any websites/forums on this subject ?
    i have plenty of reasons why i should/need ot do this, need ot do it to improve my health in which has been deteriorating very noticeable in last couple three years from lack of proper diets and proper activities, and so forth, alot of my skin such as calves and ankles and back are scarred heavily from years of bubbles and acne and pockets and crap, been really having horrible lack of energy problems in last few months especially now,
    yes went ot doctor, did all the testing that can possible be done, everything came back negative cept that my blood pressure first number is 160, whatever that means, i know its high though,
    i was given some antibiotics and told to eat better and thats all they said, i dont know how to eat better, i cant afford to anyways, anyone got tips ?

theres more than just this that i need to do, i am 26 and not healthy like a typical 26 year old is, at all, no where near,, i should do something soon if i plan on living too many more years, ive been worrying about this more and more lately, i dont know what should do is all. or how either..

ive got no one around me to talk tgo about this, never have, and ive gotta do something asap, or start to anyways, ive put it off for years too long, ive already ruienbd myself finanically and socially, those will take way plenty long enough to repair, but health-wise i dunno,, maybe even longer to repair this ??

thanks for anything

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Ok im the same boddy type at you I was reall skinny before I started going to the gym. What I did was 3 sets of 5 of Heally heavy weight. I read about it in mens health and decided to try it. It worked pretty well. I went from benching 90 lbs as a max to benching 265 in 5 months of gbeing at the gym 2 hrs a day 6 days a week. I used Cell Tech and Nitro tech. I also used Amino fuel as a supliment to repaire the mucle quicker(youll be less sore). I gained about 15lbs of mucle during the 5 months and was pretty cut up and looking buff. Unfortunatly all that is gone now because im a lazy ass. O well. I would suggest getting mens health mag its got ALOT of good info on working out and health in general.

Nick

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I can remember from power training, more reps and sets more endurance. Less reps and sets makes muscles bigger, as in there is so much wieght you can only do about 6 reps a set instead of 12.

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I recommend picking up a copy of Muscle & Fitness magazine, it's great for info like this. They have recipes for building muscle, new kinds of workouts programs, different exercises etc. Also get Arnold's Book, it's great to learn the proper way to perform exercises, different routines etc. It doesn't have much in the way of nutrition info so I usually rely on M&F for that stuff.

Get as many books and info on the net as you can, remember a personal trainer will cost a minimum of 60 clams/hour and you don't get much in that hour.

Also, join a gym. You can do pretty well with just a home gym, but you can't beat the gym. If you bitch-n-moan, you can usually get a good deal on a membership. I pay 21.63/month for Gold's Gym.

2.5 years ago I weighed 245lbs, and I'm 5'9" tall. I was a fatass, then I hit the gym for 2 hours every morning(4-6am) six days a week and combined that with a heathly diet(basically just cut out processed food, and made sure I ate 6 small meals/day). I didn't bother with counting calories, carbs, fat etc, that's a big pain in the ass. So, in all I lost 85 lbs. I actually gained back about 12lbs of muscle so I'm at 172lbs right now. Good Luck

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Read a lot of magazines and books. Read what other people have done and try it out. I usually end up using a mix of different ideas. You have to try it for a while and find a rutine that works.

Can't help you with the eating. I have the opposite problem you do.

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Diet and exercise randy, first off you need to make sure your eating right. Eating right means eating 4 or 5 small meals a day to jump start your metabolizm. 3 of those meals should be the typical breakfast lunch a dinner. Cut your sugar intake but increase your protein intake. As far as things you can do at your house if you dont have access to a gym, do stuff like pushup, start off with like 100 or 150 a day then increase from there. Find something you can pullup on and do pullups like 20-40 a day. Simple things like this will get you started in the right direction. How is your cardio do you run or do long walks like 30 or 40 minutes worth? These are just a few ways to get you started on being healthy, o yeah and stretch out alot too it helps your muscle's gain strength. But my final words for you would be to eat eat eat. Your diet is very important!!

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ -forums

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ -forums

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/exercises.htm -animated how to's

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html -muscle dictionary

I like Men's Fitness magazine, I've had a couple other subscriptions but this was the only one I renued this year.

Articals-
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/windowofopportunity.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ice1.htm

Online diet and fitness journal
    http://www.fitday.com

Food info
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/food.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Here is an Excellent site with a TON of information.
    If you dont find the info here, you dont need it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    GetBig.com

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I get big, you gotta lift big. last sets should be between 4-6 reps, eat a lot of everything. bulk all you can.

others have pointed you in the right direction with forums and info, but it takes time.

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/ -forums

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ -forums

http://www.theministryoffitness.com/exercises.htm -animated how to's

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html -muscle dictionary

I like Men's Fitness magazine, I've had a couple other subscriptions but this was the only one I renued this year.

Articals-
    http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine/windowofopportunity.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ice1.htm

Online diet and fitness journal
    http://www.fitday.com

Food info
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/food.htm

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi R72K5,

This is big pappa b's wife and since he has this site marked as home, I see the topics everytime I open IE and I couldn't help but notice your thread. I'm a personal trainer and just wanted to add another site onto the above list (which is great btw).

Also check out: http://www.bodybuilderselite.com/

I'm a moderator there, BuffedWildCat. The board is very new and very slow at this point but I do check it almost everyday so if you happen to post over there I'll be sure you get the help you need. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also help people on bodybuilding.com albeit in the Women's forum though, heh.

Be careful reading some of those fitness magazines though, there's a lot of bogus info in those. Many if not most of those magazines are financially supported by supplement companies. Also, some of them that give you workouts, give you workouts done by the pro bodybuilders which is unrealistic IMO because the pro's are on steroids.

http://www.exrx.net/ is an excellent site as it shows you exactly how to do different exercises, tells you what muscle groups it works, tells you how to set up a workout routine, etc.

I also have two different sets of guidelines I wrote myself on how to train and eat properly and have posted them quite a bit in the Women's forum on bodybuilding.com. I've also emailed them to friends, I give them to clients etc.

Anyway, check out those sites and those forums. If you get really confused you can always email me/us. I'm assuming big pappa b has our email address in his profile.

Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I suggest you take Westy(big pappa b's wife) up on her offer if she's willing to give you advice. That girl is in AWESOME shape and obviously knows her stuff when it comes to working out. In fact, Bryan(big pappa b) was a BIG help when I was looking for a lean-out program about 6 months ago.

If you have any doubts, check out Westy's pic in last year's "Girls of CK5" calendar. Can you say "rock hard babe-alicious"!!!????? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I have to add that a routine used by someone who has body fat to lose will be on a completely different routine than what you need . I was like you but I was 6'2' and 170. I had been working out for years up to 2hrs a day. I thought more time in the gym was the key. I couldn't gain a pound. After learned a bunch from some pros I met, I was able to bulk up to a cut 220 in 3 years. Here are a few keys:
    1) Cut out the aerobics to no more than once a week
    2) Eat lots of protein, fat, and carbs ( you are not dieting at this point.) Pizza is a good combination.
    3) Choose one muscle group to work each day (arms, or shoulders, or back etc...) and work this group with heavy weights until the muscle is dead, then work some it some more with lighter weights until you can't lift a thing. This should only take about 20-30 minutes if you start heavy. Then you are done for the day. Don't lift again with this muscle group for at least a week. You build muscle while you are healing, not while you're working out.

This seemed crazy to me that only working out for 20-30 minutes a day could provide these results, but it works. Sure you are sore all the time since each muscle is worked to exhaustion during the course of a week, but you start to like the feeling of being pumped.

Good luck.
    jeff

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

as stated, 5 smaller meals a day, consuming at leas 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh, no more than around 50g of protein each serving at your weight, your body does not store it, and it wont use much more than that, so the rest is waste, and protein is what repairs/rebuilds muscle. high in carbs, high in calories (energy), fats dont really matter. 1 hour in the gym is plenty, more than that and your doing too much, resulting in overtraining and zero gains. isolate 1-2 muscle groups per day(back, chest, legs, shoulders, biceps/triceps, that works for me, then add abs in a couple times a week), do the heavier sets with less reps, i do 4 sets of between 6 and 8 reps, this will result in "bulking" (flat out gaining size). i take creatine, a multi-vitamin, and a protein shake, and thats about all you really need. anything 'big pappa b' says, listen. im a member at www.wannabebig.com, good site, set up a lot like this one, just different topic obviously. and it'll take time, but in the end its worth it, so just stay with it. unick, is that a typo? you went from 90lb bench press to 265 in five months??? thats pretty unbelievable... well i hope this helps, and best of luck...

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

So take a look at what I do, am I screwing myself???

Every other day I ride the stationary bike for 20-30 minutes, on the other days I use this thing I don't know the name of, but it's one hell of a cardio workout... It's kinda like running, but it's not...

On the days I do the bike, I hit the weight machines with as much weight as I can lift for 12 reps, one set. Legs, arms, chest, back, abs, all in one shot...

On the days I use the other machine, I do the weight machines again, but I use a lot less weight and do 24 reps...

My friend I work out with said that someone who knows their stuff said that's how it should be done... But at this point, we're open to suggestions. I know I'm getting stronger, and I can see it a bit. I'm not expecting to be some musclebound freakazoid since I've only been going to the gym for about 2.5 weeks, but I want to do the best workouts I can do so I can start seeing some results more than feeling stronger and looking slightly bigger...

15. big pappa b

You do "1" set of each bodypart? You're not doing much at all. To get your muscles bigger you have to tear them down and let your body repair/rebuild them. 1 set just aint gonna cut it. Do 2-3 exercises for each bodypart, 3-4 set of each. These are very general guidelines. Everyone trains different but you have to do more than 1 set if you expect to see any real gains.

16. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

The machines all target certain areas, I work each muscle about 2 or 3 times from going through each machine, but they're different exercises... Does that count? Or should I be doing each machine 2 or 3 times?

17. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I'm too old and decripet any more to worry abuot that stuff myself anymore, but what used to work well in the past was:
    Compound exercises IE; squats, bent rows, cleans, military press, dead lifts, and bench presses. I would recommend finding someone who knows proper form and is willing to show you (perhaps a summer gym membership) Also as everyone else is saying you need to eat. Try buying things in bulk when possible Such as Chicken breasts, turkey and such. Blend down some of your foods if possible. I know it sounds nasty but it somewhat predigests it using less of the calories for digestion and more for recovery. And try to eat at least 4 times a day with a high calorie/high protien supplement at least twice a day and especially before sleep. Try to avoid soy protien if possible do to its low bioavailability. And maintain a positive outlook towards your training. It just takes time. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    OLD DAWG

18. big pappa b

Yes, each machine 2-3 or 4 times. If you are doing your whole body in one day I woulndn't do it more than 2 times per week either (every 3-4 days). The reason being that for natural bodybuilders (those not using steroids) the body cannot completely recover in 2 days...and that's if you are eating plenty of protein to help with recovery

19. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

example workout on chest day: bench press-4 sets of 6, dumbell bench press-4 sets of 8, wide chest machine-4 sets of 8, pec deck- 4 sets of 8. I try and finish with a workout that isolates only the muscle u are trying to workout for the day, to get that extra burn. i dont really agree with that 12 rep then 24 rep alternation thing, sounds like it should be more of a 6-8 rep and a 12-14 rep alternation. i used to do one week heavy weight and few reps, then the next light weight and high reps- did nothing for me. then a guy in the gym said if im going to alternate, it should be at earliest every other month, not week, so i did that and started with heavy weights, bamo, bench went up 30lbs. so i just do the heavy weights to build raw muscle, and when i am satisfied with my power and muscle mass, ill start doing less weight at high reps to cut out the fat in my body to get that "chisled" look. it would be better to do between 1 and 2 muscle groups a day, rather than all of 'em, with at least a 3 day rest for each muscle group until you work them again. and as stated, eat all that protein and stuff... hope this helps...

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as stated, 5 smaller meals a day, consuming at leas 1.5 grams of protein for every pound you weigh, no more than around 50g of protein each serving at your weight, your body does not store it, and it wont use much more than that, so the rest is waste, and protein is what repairs/rebuilds muscle. high in carbs, high in calories (energy), fats dont really matter. 1 hour in the gym is plenty, more than that and your doing too much, resulting in overtraining and zero gains. isolate 1-2 muscle groups per day(back, chest, legs, shoulders, biceps/triceps, that works for me, then add abs in a couple times a week), do the heavier sets with less reps, i do 4 sets of between 6 and 8 reps, this will result in "bulking" (flat out gaining size). i take creatine, a multi-vitamin, and a protein shake, and thats about all you really need. anything 'big pappa b' says, listen. im a member at www.wannabebig.com, good site, set up a lot like this one, just different topic obviously. and it'll take time, but in the end its worth it, so just stay with it. unick, is that a typo? you went from 90lb bench press to 265 in five months??? thats pretty unbelievable... well i hope this helps, and best of luck...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope no typo I went from benching 90 to 265 in 5 months