Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proper Lug Nut Size

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by backlash, Oct 29, 2002.

1. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Bought a set of Ultra Wheel 164's and the lug nut heads appear to be too large or the nuts themselves are too short. The nuts only stick out from the surface of the face of the rims less than 1/2". I could not get a decent bite using a 4-way lug tool. I guess a thin walled chrome socket would work, but if I ever get a flat on the road or loan it to someone, or when I take it in for inspection every year, or rotate them ... someone will attempt to use a standard impact to remove the wheels and destroy the finish of the wheel or round off the lug heads.

Anyone have these in 15x8" and can measure the lenght of the lug or the size of the head.

Any suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks,

Backlash Bob

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Proably could get a taller lug nut.
    You might try to grind the 4 way down to fit into the rim is the other thought. Problem is 4 ways are typically not the best metal and with thinner walls you might break the end.

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Grim,

Thanks, but was wondering if that would even help ... a taller one would allow for an impact socket, but it would prolly rest on and scatch the face of the wheel.

I have no problem with using a chromer when I work on it, but am just wondering about being on the road ... projecting, I guess.

Anyone have these rims? I heard from Ultra that they do have a longer nut ...

Is it worth the hassle?

Thanks,

Backlash

4. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

When my parents got new wheels on the 92 blazer we used to have they had a similar problem. My dad took one of the old lug nuts and welded it to the end of a deep socket. It worked good and now we use it on his jeep. Just keep it with your jack and/or lug wrench.