Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proper procedure for engaging 4WD

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 3, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

So the 77 Jimmy I recently purchased is my first 4x4. It has a np203 t-case but it's been converted to part-time (Warn manual hubs). No owners manual, no original visors where the directions would have been.

This is what I have been doing so far (well only once really):

To Engage
    1. Stop vehicle, put in neutral
    2. Get out, lock hubs
    3. Put in 4 Loc
    4. Put in Drive

To Disengage
    1. Stop vehicle, put in neutral
    2. Get out, unlock hubs
    3. Take out of 4Loc
    4. Put in Reverse, back up about 10 feet

Is this right? I've searched the posts as best I could but couldn't find the 4WD For Dummies chapter for part-time np203 4WD engagment.

Thanks in advance...

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds good to me. I've always thought that once you convert the 203 to part time, it is just like most of the other part cases out there, at least in basic operation.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Looks good to me too. Once a 203 has been converted it does operate just like any other part time case. As long as you don't hear any grinding you're doing it right./forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Send a pm to Grimmy (Grim Reaper) he'll be able to confirm any Q you have on a 203.

Rene

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

I have a 74 K10 with a freshly rebuilt NP203 with mile-marker part-time kit and Dana44 equipped with warn locking hubs. the Np203 part-time gear positions are as follows:
    4 low
    2 low
    Neutral
    2 high
    4 high

Your precedure sounds good to me, just thought i would throw this out there for you as well. I don't know if the backing up part is really necessary though. I thought that was only if you have been in 4 wheel drive without tire slippage and needed to free up the gears in order to shift out of 4-wheel. Putting one of your tires in a place without a lot of traction and spinning the tire also helps to free up the gear tension.

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

backing up disengages the hubs on automatic locking hubs. gets annoyin as one time i did this and i fell back into the ruts and had to rock my way out of it. lol. pissed me off but it was a good laugh. later.

jacob

6. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

Ahhh, I have manual ones so i have not experienced that.

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

my gear grinds as i try to slip it into 4wd from neutral, but it's fine once i actually get it slipped in - is this bad, or just normal (the guy who sold me the truck didn't seem to think it was anything bad...)

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Those dirrections are more correct for a NP208 and a 205. The 203 is a shift on the fly case. I find it shifts MUCH easier when your rolling a couple miles per hour with the hubs locked. It tends to fight you when your stopped. Any time you go from high to low the tranny needs to be in Neutral if your rolling or Park if your stopped. Neutral will also work parked.
    I usualy lock the hub and next level or down hill place I come to once off pavement I just get rolling a couple miles per hour and throw the transmission in Neutral and then shift the case into low. It shifts very easy like that. You can go from 4wd to 2wd in gear rolling or stopped. Just don't try going through Neutral on the case without the tranny being in Neutral or park. It gets a bit noisy /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    No syncros in the case and you will not get it back into gear. If you do screw up and the tranny is in gear then DON'T try to go into park. Stop the truck and shut it off. Wait a few seconds for the tranny to quit spinning and then you can get the case back into gear.
    Now when you part time a 203 there is some extra stuff to do. The chain that drives the front output was part of the oiling system. Oil slinging off the chain would lubricate some parts as well as being caught by a reservior in the tail housing. that reservior supplies oil to a pump in the back. That pump pushes oil into the teail shaft brearing. the oil then gets pushed into a hole drilled into that shaft and then goies back and lubricates two sets of bearings back in the inner works including the top chain gear bearings.
    Every 200-300 miles you need to put the case in High lock (hubs unlocked) and drive it a few miles like that to get the chain spinning and refill the reservior. I also like to over fill these cases. Back the truck up some ramps and fill it. That will let oil slosh into the Reservior eaiser and lessen the chance that your going to run that tailshaft bearing dry.
    Check out www.gbr4wd.com That's who BigJBear and I run with. Blazer74 is a prospect as is Tallison. Our meeting this month has been moved to the 28th because of this.
    http://www.southernjeeps.org/trash/letstalktrash5.htm
    Welcome to CK5
    So what part of town are you in?

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

If you have your front hubs locked with a NP205 you can shift on the fly. I've done this with no problems doing 65 mph up the freeway when its snowing. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

I come from the "Grip it and Rip it" school of t-case engagement!

later rob

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Blazer74 is a prospect

[/ QUOTE ] it's Beater74 /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, Grim. I'm in the Roswell/Alpharetta area. Another question if I might...how can I tell which kit was used to part-time the np203? I've seen a bunch of posts about the Mile Marker kit and I'm hoping that was what was installed on my ride. It looks like Frank74 (a few posts above) has the same setup as I do -- np203 w/ Warn manual hubs.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The grinding when taking the case out of nuetral is because the automatic transmission has enough grip inside that it will spin it's output shaft in nuetral when there is no load on it. It's not enough to notice when the load of the vehicle is on it, but even with all of the clutches "disengaged" they still rub just a little bit. It's not really a problem. Not all trannies will do it, even. Really, if the case is in Nuetral and it's trying to grind for you to go back into gear, all you can really do is turn off the engine.

The 208 is also supposed to be "shift-on-the-fly" at up to 35mph. That's what the visor stickers said in 208-equipped vehicles, anyway. It works OK, especially when you have the hubs already engaged. I often slip between 2 and 4WD in the winter to turn tight corners or pull into parking spots. Even with auto hubs, they stay engaged the whole time, unless you back up in the meantime. Then both driveshafts turn at the same speed and it's easy for the T-case to slip into 4WD. If you have auto hubs unlocked, you really want to be going pretty slow to pull the lever to 4

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

"Pay no attention to Wimp Lo. He is an idiot. We have purposefully trained him wrong, as a joke"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I love that signature line.../forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

15. Grim-Reaper

HAY I got the 74 part right! I know most concider me the elephant brained freak of K5's but I got a sinus infection and the old noodle is throbbing LOL.
    You coming to the clean up this weekend?

16. Grim-Reaper

Cant tell unless you take the back of the case appart and look.
    You can buy most of the kits with or without hubs. So what hubs are on it really doesn't make a hill of beans. My wifes 79 had a superwench part time kit (junk and replaced it with the MM kit when it got loose) and wolvorine hubs that you can't get anymore. I have Warns on my 75 with MM Kit. I have the cheaper 501 kit but I'm hoping the MM will work with me on a tech write up and and I'm going to replace it with the better shaft kit. I think the cheaper part time kit is fine for street but I have noticed that front and rear lockers and 35's has already loosend up the cheaper kit. I bet I'm going to find a couple trashed shims in the trail shaft. The shaft kit removes the tendancy for the output shaft to try to push back since it completly drives off the splined shaft and not the crown gear that the cheaper kit just locks down.
    I'll cover both MM kits if it works out and put up a good tech story for the NP203.

17. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Grim. Looking forward to the article.

18. Grim-Reaper

I come from the "Grip it and Rip it" school of t-case engagement!

later rob

[/ QUOTE ]
    "Hurst: Shift as hard as you like. Just don't break your arm"
    That was always my favorite and trying to speed shift the Saginaw three speed (1st is down and second is up and through the gate) in my 70 LeMans I can attest that is true.
    BTW most NP203 shifters are Hurst's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so is there any real reason to convert a part time converted 203 back to full time stock again ? the oiling problem concerns me, im going to drain and refill my 203 with 10w40 soon, maybe today if i can figure out how to drain the thing. 10w40 because of here: http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/

thanks for anything further