Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proper TRE Torque?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is a really dumb question, but is there a torque spec for tie rod ends or just snug 'em down? Tried a search and came up with nothing. Thanks for any help.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its very difficult to torque anything with a castle nut. Basically snug them down pretty good then put in the pin. I say its hard cause its not so common that when you hit the torque spec the holes line up with the openings.

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks man, I was wondering if the pins were for overall safety or to keep the castle nut in place because you weren't supposed to torque them down real hard.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you want them tight, as with all fasteners, slop will cause wear and breakage.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If the TQ spec was written specifically for a castellated nut (which I have found is rare in automotive pubs), it will be a range, not a specific number; i.e. 67-112ft/lbs. You'd TQ to 67ft/lbs first and check the cotterpin hole. If it didn't align, you'd set the wrench for 112ft/lbs and turn the nut in small steps, until either the holes line up or you hit the TQ. If you hit the TQ and the holes don't line up, you could try putting a thin washer under the nut & retorque.
    If you find a number but not a range, you could add & subtract 10-15% from the number and make your own range. For example:
    Spec of 100ft/lbs. Add & subtract 15% and you'd have a range of 85-115ft/lbs.