Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proper way to shift NP208?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CamaroZ85, Mar 11, 2003.

1. CamaroZ85

CamaroZ85 Registered Member

I just bought my first 4x4 and I was in my driveway the other day shifting the t-case. I think anything I could have possibly done wrong, I did /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I had the truck running, and I got a couple of good grinds out of it, and at one point I threw it into park and got some interesting noises too. Any pointers would be helpful. Also, is it bad to drive around w/ the hubs locked? Say I was in a situation where I wasnt sure if I'd need the 4wd so I locked the hubs in case, so I could just shift the case if necessary. I dont plan to do this while I'm cruising around on the roads or anything...just in potential situations.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Shifting into Hi range with a 208 can be done on the move at slower speeds. Low range shifts should be made with the truck stopped and the tranny in neutral. With a 208 you can drive around with the hubs locked. Do not drive around with the tcase engaged if you are on dry ground or a good traction surface. You can do as you as and drive around with the hubs locked, and when you need 4x4 pull the tcase into high range. I wouldn't do it above 20 mph though, preferably less.

As for grinding in the case. Make sure to put the trans in neutral to help prevent any possible grinding. Also check the fluid level in the case. If it is low that can contribute to grinding.

3. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

one more tip: if you try to put the truck into 4 and then shift the tranny into gear, and it doesn't go anywhere, DON'T SHIFT IT BACK INTO PARK! you will damage the parking sprag. if this happens, shut the truck off, then put the transmission in park and restart. this will get all of the internals of the transmission stopped again so you can try to re-engage the t-case.

-Scott

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

That is a very good point /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, I found that one out the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Another tip is when you go from HI to LOW move the lever over and then pull it all the way down to LOW(don't stop in the neutral) with a quick firm movement. By doing this you wont give the internals time to start moving and you will avoid the grinding. At least this works for me.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can shift into 4-Hi at any speed, as long as the front hubs are locked. This will have both driveshafts spinning at the same speed, so the gears in the transfer case will mesh right up when you move the lever. I've shifted in and out at 50+ mph with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

lol, i still dont belive in shift on the fly T-cases, never will, the great thing about my truck sm465\np208, is simply when you push in the clutch that stops everything from turning so you can leave it all day in N in the T-case with the clutch pushed in and then shift into 4Lo, no grind just a tug /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif