Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Properly adjusting valves after seal replacement? WHAFUH??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mofugly13, Apr 22, 2003.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I replaced my janky 0-ring valve stem seals yesterday with some fel-pro umbrella type seals. I don't think I adjusted the valves quite right in regards to taking up the lash in the pushrod before giving it the one full turn. How do you know when the lash is at it's proper "no slack" point. Is it when there is no discernible movement in the pushrod in the up and down direction, or is it when I start to feel resistance when I rotate the pushrod between my fingers as I tighten down the adjusting nut? Also, would improperly adjusted valves cause my engine to burn oil? Before I changed the seals I only puffed smoke on startup, but now It's smoking constantly like I'm pushing oil past my rings. I am thoroughly befuddled. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I used one of them hoodiddley's that screws into the spark plug hole and hooks up to the air compressor, but I can't see how that woulda caused any problems. I only used 95 psi on the cylinders. Once or twice I fuc*ed up and hooked up the air before the valves were closed all the way. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif This is my daily driver so I gotta get it back on the road ASAP. I got my GF driving me to and from work now and she drives a jeep! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Well...I don't think I can answer many of your questions, but I can give youan alternate method for adjusting your valve back lash. Kinda messy, but it's really the best way I think. Pull a valve cover offm and start the motor. Loosen on of the nuts till ya here it start clattering/clacking, tighten it till it just stops, then go another 3/4-1 turn past that. Do that for all of them with the engine running. Thats how I do it on my big block, and it seems to work out good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif