Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Properly grounding an electrical system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, May 14, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My battery box broke, so I'm gonna throw one of these in the back of the burb:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DG1200A&N=0&autoview=sku

It comes with 20 feet of 2 gauge for the positive, and 3 feet of negative for the ground. Will it hurt to ground the electrical system way back in the burb? Sould I just clean/ drill a place of the chassis for the ground back there? Am I gonig to kill my stock electrical system if I throw my red top optima toward the back of the burb with only 2 ga wire? My only accessories are 4 KC lights.

thanks,
    James

2. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ground it to the frame if you can, with a nice clean connection.

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

connect neg batt term good to the frame. The frame is called "ground", but is really just a hardend negitive wire.

other usless info, if you disconect the neg batt term first, then you can touch the pos to the frame without fear of being zapped :D

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unless there are a ton of electrical components hooked up to the system like oh say a Ford E-350 with a boom in the back.... ask me how I know. haha.

There is nothing wrong with grounding the battery way back at the end of the frame if you want. Its one big conductor so grounding at the front or back doesn't matter, it should be little resistance either way.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I have a factory battery tray assembly from a '75 that I'd sell ya for cheap. Like $5 plus shipping cheap. It's the tray and the upright support. :)

6. 78Suburban

so a long run of 2 ga wire isn't gonna be alot of resistance to get hot if I flip on some kc lights? I don't have any kinda winch or audio system to worry about.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

KC's are nothing for 2 guage. Don't worry about it.

8. 78Suburban

Well, The kit is coming my way. I ended up ordering the red box kit, because it was stocked in the Ga parts house, and would be here in one or two business days. The 50 buck kit ended up being 64 bucks because of handling and tax. I think I still came out slightly better than driving 65 miles to McDonough. I'll snap some pics when I install the relocation kit.

Harry: thanks for the offer, and I was actually very tempted to buy that box off of ya, but I've been wanting to move my batter to the back for quite some time now, and finally broke down and bit the bullet for the kit.

thanks,
    James