Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Properly Removing AC ( I don't want a hole in the sky above me)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Apr 5, 2006.

?

What should I do with my R-12 AC if I swap my cam?

1. Find a pro to drive out here and drain in

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Unbolt and walk away

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Trying actually keep all of it in the system, wrestling the compressor and condensor

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Nekkid...yeah.

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

how do I properly discharge my R-12? I may get to do a Cam swap soon, so bye bye AC condensor. That's ok, I don't want an AC anyway. I would like to figure out how to make my heater work with my old AC box, but I never really have understood how some of yall do that succesfully, what mods would I need to make to keep the same box and use heat? I just might keep that AC compressor bracket around, incase I get the notion to go dual alternators or get a YORK :wink1: Please help me figure out how to get the coolant out. I don't want to bring it to a shop, and I don't want to just cut the hose with a knife (unless that wouldn't hurt anything)

thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would just let it out, when i was getting r-12 out of a system i called a shop becasue the shops sell the stuff, they wanted to charge me 50 to do it even though they would turn around and sell it for more profit so i said screw them and just let the stuff out

3. sarasotausmc

sarasotausmc 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you're concerned about the atmosphere, pay the money to get it evac'ed. If not, just don't try to sniff the R12 to find out if it smells better than your AC did, you'll not feel well later. I paid $20 to get mine discharged. One time fee, no problem.

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah - that's good advice - that R12 is heavier than air - it will go in your lungs and settle at the bottom - and if you get too much it will force all the air from your lungs - and you'll suffocate....

Have fun! LOL

5. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Shoot me a PM after ya pull it. I can use some AC stuff. hoses in such.

bob

6. 78Suburban

How do the technicians properly discharge it? My gf's dad might have some big tanks with some left in it, is there some sort of pressureized fitting he could hook to to let my R-12 into his tank? I'm just curious about how the pro's do it. There has to be a way.. Because I don't think I'm going to get to drive the burb 20 miles into town anytime soon (or 40 miles to a REAL town). Basically I will have to have the AC discharged and removed before I can get it running, because the condensor has to go in order to installl a cam shaft? So anyone here ever work at an AC place, How do yall do it?
    thanks

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd pull the motor. Keep your A/C, you'll wish you had it someday soon.. Plus with all the troubles you've been having with that engine, it wouldn't hurt to actually give it a good once over.

Pulling the motor is quite simple, and alot less costly that 3.5lbs of R-12.

John

8. 78Suburban

If that motor comes out, I swear the only thing that is going in is a GM crate 350 or a Big Block. If I have to pull it, I'm gonna drop it in the ocean. I would really rather not have to fool with pulling it again.. I have no flat concrete surface on which to work, so I had to basically use a huge prybar to push the engine hoist around in the muddy soil :mad:

9. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Have the freon removed properly.

10. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I have heard to drain it off in a bucket of water to remove some of the bad stuff.

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If you care, you'll pay. If you don't care, you won't pay.

12. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Why not give a call to some local heating and A/C guy's. locally the guy's do side jobs on the cheap. They might even thank you for the freon. Most mom and pop places are glad to work with folks cause it's their money. The chains could careless it's not their money.

It's only a few phone calls.

bob

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Typically you will need an a machine that will evacuate all the freon from the system, and it puts into a tank. Usually this freon must be recycled before it can be reused, this is to clean it, and get any particles, etc. out of it before putting it into another system. So, a shop charging you to evacuate your system is fair, they had to pay big money for the machine to do it, and they have to pay to dispose of it, or recycle it.

I would be very pissed if I learned that a shop took freon out of someone else's vehicle, and put it straight into mine.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Call around. The machine to properly evac R12 uses a pump to get it out of your rig. The gas gets filtered and dried, then they do indeed resell it, typically for $80+ per POUND! :eek:

15. 78Suburban

How big is this machine, could they come to my hose and do it? I wish I could find somewhere that would do it for free, just to get ahold of my R-12.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Think of all the crap China puts into the air everyday from their unregulated manufacturing plants. The little bit of freon you have won't hurt anything. Just loosen a fitting until you can hear it "hiss" and then leave and come back later when it's drained.

17. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

another thing to keep in mind, say (especially if you have done something really stupid, like post it in a public forum) you just let it out. someone figures it out, the EPA could very well show up at your house. i believe the fines start at $10K. if you're licensed, like me, discharging a system into the atmosphere becomes a REAL problem.

18. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

My brother and I were able to remove the whole AC circuit (Pump, lines, condensor, evap) WITHOUT breaking the lines so that we could pull an engine
    So you could just yank then whole thing out and leave it in storage while you work on the engine, then if you want to put it back in, it doesnt cost you $$$

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ahh, the old "but they did it too!" defense. :rolleyes:

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

might not have too...

You can most likely change the cam without having to discharge the freon from the condenser,though it will be more of a pain in the butt...

I know its illegal,but 90% of the junkyards here just cut the hoses,or stab the condensor with the forks and say "WHOOPS!"....:rolleyes: ...and their defense is usually something like "well,they shoulda smashed it up hardrer, so the freon would have spilled in the street!--they dont get fined if THEY have an accident..so why should I?"....

I see their point,what if a hose pops,or the compressor craps out,and it leaks out??...does an EPA cop come running up and charge you with a hefty fine??no!..but let them see you do it intentionally,and things could get ugly fast..

..if an official witnessed half of what we did at the yard I worked at,we'd all be in jail for life!....but I'd say there are much worse crimes you could commit..and yes,its done on a much larger basis by big companies,and overseas manufacturers..

We once swapped an entire body on an 89 K5 without discharging the freon from the one we were restoring!...wasn't easy,but the A/C blew cold after it was all re-assembled..we were too CHEAP to buy more freon--we were not that concerned about it escaping that much!:crazy: