Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proportioning valve/brake line trouble

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Jul 21, 2003.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm having trouble with a brake line at the proportioning valve on the front crossmember. I'm converting my rear D60 to disk brakes, and I'm changing to a disk/disk unit from Inline tube that was discussed on here recently. I've got four of the five lines switched over to the new valve without a hitch. But for the live of me I can't get the fitting on the line on the pass. side of the valve loose. I've tried soaking with penetrating spray, heat, cold, bent two wrenches and a pair of pliers in the process - nada. Any ideas how to get the bugger loose?

I suppose I have to cut the line, get a new fitting, and flare the line. I know brake lines are double-flare - where's the best place to get the flare tools? The line itself appears to be in good shape - should I just replace the whole thing? If so, does anybody make these lines in ready-to-go shape? Thanks for the help, michael

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Try vise grips

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I assume you are using a flare wrench? If not, then yes you should go buy one now.
    I would not use heat on the brake line fittings. PB Blaster and a 9/16{" flare wrench (with maybe some taps from a heavy hammer) ought to do it.
    -- Mike

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have used a small pipe wrench before after the fitting got rounded off using a flare fitting wrench. If the rest of the line is in good shape you could just cut off a bit of it and re-flare it. You should be able to pick up a double flare kit at any auto parts store for under $20.