Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proportioning valve for 14bff rear disc

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBadCad, Feb 27, 2002.

1. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I'll try again...
    Does anyone have any suggestions or experience as to where I should place an adjustable proportioning valve for my 14bff-rear disc conversion? I'm assuming under the hood close to the reservoir but wanted to verify before getting started.

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by BigBadCad on 02/28/02 02:44 PM.</FONT></P>

2. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

ttt

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have rear discs on my 14B SF, but I am only using the stock combination valve. This probably only works because I have the same calipers at all four corners and the truck is lifted and I just got lucky. I think even TSM says that you can get away with this on a K-5.

The correct way to put a prop valve in is to first replace the factory combination valve (prop, front delay and imbalance switch) with one from a 4 wheel disc brake vehicle and put the adjustable valve just after this in the line for the rear. Remember, the adjustable valve can only reduce the rear pressure. Adding it to your existing system will only be helpful if your rears are currently locking ahead of your fronts.

I would mount it right next to the stock combo valve on the front crossmember, with the shortest brake tube I could find at the car parts store with the right threads.

<font color=green>Want to see a happy guy? Look at me as soon as my new wheels and tires arrive!</font color=green>

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you tell us what you are experiencing that makes you think you need to replace the prop. valve?

Have you done a search under 14FF disks or prop. valve? Very common topic of discussion.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=92046&amp;part=1
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=148628&amp;part=1
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showfl...206&amp;part=1</a> Not"]91 Blazer and Toys

5. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

I've searched all the topics regarding 14bff rear disks and haven't found the information that I was looking for. I'm going to assume that I need to reduce pressure going to the rear brakes because I'm putting the disks on a K30 Crewcab not a K5 and do a lot of driving on snow packed roads.

I Don't know...maybe I'll do the swap and see what happens without the prop valve but I think the rear is going to lock up.

1980 chevy 4x4 1-ton crewcab, 500 caddy, York OBA...work in progress.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, try it first.

What kit are you using? (sorry if you posted...)

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>91 Blazer and Toys</a>

7. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

just as a bit of reference... my TSM kit on my K30 longbed/reg cab never locks the rear brakes up. my rear brakes are getting far too LITTLE power. I don't know if thats abnormal or not.

<font color=red>Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest</font color=red>