Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proportioning Valve Help Please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gassman, Jan 2, 2001.

1. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Just installed my lift kit and had to reroute my brake lines in front. Now I can't seem to get the front brakes right. The brake light on the dash is always on now. How do you reset the proportioning valve so It's centered. HELP.

2. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

It's a 71 Blazer.

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If the light is on you more than likely have air in a line or a leak.

4. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

I was told that the valve would move off center if you did not have pressure on both sides. Is this true or not.

5. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

come on guys, a little help here.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

DMK gave you the right answer. You aren't done bleeding the front brakes yet. There's an air pocket trapped in there somewhere. Air will compress, keeping the actual line pressure low, triggering the proportioning valve to set the brake trouble light.

Once the brakes are fully bled, the pressure will be correct and the proprotioning valve will reset itself the next time you press the brake pedal.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Thank's DMK and HarryH3, Guess it's back to bleeding the brakes right. Wish I had a power bleeder. Thank's again to you both of the help.

8. Josh

Josh Registered Member

I just went through a bout with my brakes also, so I can relate. The valve "senses" a pressure differential and and the higher pressure pushes a piston over in the valve if the front/rear has a differential. When the piston has moved over it may not be able to re-center in the proper place. But, there is a way to "reset" the valve - at least on my '77. You have to unplug the brake light plug and then unscrew the plastic switch/cap that the plug was on. You may want to tap the valve with a hammer "GENTLY" to help the springs re-center the piston inside. Be sure not to hit the brakes with the switch out of the housing. You may also have to re-bleed the brakes because this will cause a pressure differential.

Josh

9. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Josh, that's what I have been hearing from my friends around here. Just wanted to see what you all thought. Thank's, Best to ask without my opinion involved.