Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proportioning valve question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Oct 7, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

putting brake lines on my buddies 81 4x4 3/4 ton truck, broke the fitting off at the hose, then the fitting broke off inside the proportioning valve on both front lines.

are the 1/2 and 3/4 ton the same? are the 2wd and 4wd the same? i don;t have my LMC book here to verify. i know the yard has a 3/4 2wd and a few 1/2 ton 2wd and 1 1/2 ton 4wd truck.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not sure if they are internally the same,but I have used a proportioning valve on a 2wd truck on my 4x4 before--couldnt tell any difference.I'm not sure if the Hollander book they use at the junkyard will list just the valve--they list master cylinders and other parts,maybe they have a listing that could help.Now that I think about it,the valve on most older GM cars looks the same or very similar to the ones on my truck--my friend took the one off a 73 chevelle I bought for the motor for my van for his K5,he didnt say it didnt fit,so I assume it worked for him.The 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton ones look the same to me,might be different internally??.You cant get the broken fittings out with an E-Z out???. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. big83chevy4x4

i tried and ended up destrying the proprotioning valve. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

also, the junkyard that i go to doesn't have one of those hollander books, its my friends yard and i get parts cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Do yourself a favor and buy an adjustable proportioning valve, the better braking that will result is well worth it.
    Ken

5. big83chevy4x4

well i would, but we are running out of money and it will take to long to get it. trying to get the truck going before sunday.

anyway i got one from a 89 c30, it was the only one that he had that was the correct style. oh yea and free /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif