Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proportioning valve

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Oct 15, 2008.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

How hard is it suppose to be to push the button on the proportioning valve, because mine isn't budging.

2. abig84

abig84 1/2 ton status

theres a button on that thing? :confused: whats it do. ive replaced or broken everything on these trucks but never messed with that thing yet

3. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

yup, there's a button on the side of it. i believe it's supposed to reset the valve if you have lost your brakes and prevents fluid from going to the front or rear. is the rubber cap missing off of yours? could be rusted in place. ant of the ones i've pushed have been hard and only move a little.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you having problems resetting the brake switch? I know others have, but you really shouldn't need to manually reset it unless it just won't reset. Even brake line pressure in the circuits is supposed to reset it.

5. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

The rubber cap is still there. I read that you have to have it pressed in while you are bleeding your brakes.

6. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

never did that before, and my brakes are fine. usually i use a vacuum bleeder though.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, you do not need to depress it to bleed the brakes. AFAIK GM didn't change the design since it's inception until probably 4 wheel ABS. While earlier GM service manuals apparently make it an almost "mandatory" to-do, the later manuals are pretty clear that it should not be necessary.

Obviously sometimes it is, others here have posted as much, and I don't doubt them. In my personal experience I've not needed to do so. So I won't, unless I'm having a problem. Once the brake light goes off, the switch has reset. Which is one of a few reasons the "BRAKE" indicator light in the dash needs to work.