Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

proportioning valve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmeyer, Jun 7, 2002.

1. dmeyer

dmeyer Registered Member

how the heck do you reset the proportioning valve. The truck is a 90 blazer with the rear anti lock breaks. I replaced the master cylinder and now I don't have any rear breaks. I have bled and bled the rears but I cannot get a good amount of fluid out of them. Anyone know something else to check. Fronts work fine but no backs. Oh yah, on the valve, the little brass slide or whatever comes out when you step on the brakes. I appreciate any help
    thanks

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I don't know if it's the same on the ABS trucks, but on the others, there is a little button on the side of the prop valve that you sometimes need to push in to get the fluid to bleed through. It would be on the driver's side of the valve with a little rubber cap.

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Yes, to properly bleed, that valve needs to be pushed in while doing it. Takes a good amount of time (trips around the truck) to get a good bleed.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats not true. Pressure in the system *should* reset it automatically, although the button is there for that purpose.

FWIW, your brake light should be coming on if the proportioning valve is seeing a difference in front/rear pressure to the brakes. That can be in the Master Cylinder, lines, etc.