Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proportioning valve

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71WhiteBeast, Jun 26, 2003.

1. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

I have an 89 blazer with D60 and 14ff. I put some 35's on her(not sure if that matters), anyways she seems to nose dive now under hard braking. What kinda valve have you guys used to even out pressure to front and rear? Oh yea rear drum brakes! Thanks in advance!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

I cant speak for everyone, but after I upgraded to 37 inch tires the truck seemed to dive in the nose when I would brake. I think its because of the softer superlift springs and the longer lever that large tires create. If that makes sense.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Probably more the lift than anything else. Anyhow, I just used an adjustable valve plumbed in-line in the rear section. I can turn the knob and adjust it either way. I like to get it so the backs just lock up before the fronts, and back it off a wee-bit in the back to even it out.

BlazerMan

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just talked to an old chevy mechanic who lives down the street…was talking to him about the 14FF I someday will get hung on my truck and all the problems guys have with the brakes after doing the disk change over…He told me that the older motor homes had disk brakes on the rears and used a different proportioning valve then the trucks for the very reason we all see…he was not sure if the class was the k30 or k60 (I might be wrong here)…so if you go to a dealership and look through the older motor home you might find the answer…I'm headed that way tomorrow… /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

post up what you find out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

will do... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

What kind of valve did you use? Wilwood?

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that could be a recipe for disaster in the rain and snow when front traction and wieght transfer are reduced.

I do not have a better recommendation
    brake proportioning setting is a very scary topic IMO

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, you've got more sidewall now so it produces a better lever for the rear end to get "light." You can help fix it with some stiffer shocks.

You can get an inline proportioning valve to limit fluid pressure to the rear brakes. I can lock up my rear drums easy with a stab of the brake pedal and I suspect it'll get worse when I switch to disks next week. I'll probably end up getting a knob or lever style proportioning valve from Summit. Wilwood makes Summit's so you might as well pay less for the Summit brand.

EDIT:
    today is a bad punctuation day.