Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pro's and cons of 1970 K5'er

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Dec 11, 2002.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

pro\'s and cons of 1970 K5\'er

Hey there,
    I own a 1986 k5 that I am going to sell due to the fact that I will never legally be able to go crazy with the engine. I have found a nice 1970 K5 that has a 454, dana 60 front, 14ff rear. Tranny is manual but doesn't list what it is. The pictures I've seen are immaculate, and the price reflects it. He is asking 15,000. My question is, am I overlooking anything? I am expecting this:
    1. truck is smog exempt, can do anything I want to the engine for power
    2. 1970 was a good year, and not a lemon.
    3. 1 tons and 205 t-case should put up with some abuse.

as for the engine, what is good? is any 454 a solid one or should I look for certain traits? Sorry to ask so many questions but the 86 k5 I got is a total lemon and really pissed me off. Thanks in advance for any gems you can drop.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: pro\'s and cons of 1970 K5\'er

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1. truck is smog exempt, can do anything I want to the engine for power

[/ QUOTE ]
    No. You can't legally do anything you want to the motor. It has to be older then 66 to do that. What the 74 or older gets you is out of a smog check. If they arn't going to check it how will they know if you change it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    2. 1970 was a good year, and not a lemon.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I like the 69-70 grill better ...other than that the only difference is drum vs disc brakes (which started in late 70?)...but if it is 1-ton that don't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Isn't that the point

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

1. Smog exempt, yes, although in some places they would still require you to have the original stuff in place. This is mainly the heat stove air cleaner set-up.

2. There is nothing original in the drivetrain anyway, so what does it matter if the '70 was a lemon to start with (it wasn't). Actually the SM465/NP205 is could be original to the truck, but most likely if a '70 came with a 465, it had a Dana 20 t-case.

3. Yes

You would be buying someone else's project, so there could be a lot of problems, or it could be perfect. In order for that truck to be worth that kind of money, the body should be perfect - look for rust in the rocker boxes, and the windshield frame, and make sure it's not a bondo special.

A big block conversion in a 4X4 of this era requires either a body lift, or the engine has to be moved forward to at least the 2WD position (4X4 engines were mounted farther back), or hammer work on the firewall to clear the valve covers. For that kind of money, I would expect the BB install to have been done very cleanly, and the engine should be in good condition.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You'd never be able to build it yourself for $15,000.....

Take my word on that one. If it all checks out and looks to be high quality work, pay the man and be done with it. You'll have a truck that most will envy and it won't need much else.....unless you don't like the suspension/lift/tires, etc.

Some guys will tell you to build it yourself, and that you can do it cheaper. You MAY learn a lot more about the truck by building it yourself, but you won't do it cheaper....I've got a LOT more than $15K in my truck already, and you can see from the pics in my gallery that I don't even have paint or an interior yet!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway, let us know how it goes and what you decide to do. If you take pics, try to post them....maybe one of the local Bay Area guys here will recognize it and can tell you more about it.

5. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Im with you greg, I have about 12k into my 71 and I am just now painting it (myself) and I dont have very good interior either. it sucks telling people that you have 12k into your truck and they're like "into what" they look over the bigblock,dana60,14FF,winch and all that other spendy stuff in or around the blazer...some people anger me.

6. dysphemism

pics of the truck i might buy

ok there are the pics of it. It lists a 454, 4" lift 33" tires, 205 t-case, 60 front 14 ff rear. Im not sure if the guy is on this board or not hopefully he is so I can PM him. lemme know if you recognize the name or truck.

Evan

7. silver

silver Registered Member

if you ask me you should probably ask the guy if you could give him 18,000 for it so he can start a new project.

Grant

8. dysphemism

haha shoot you woulnt happen to be the guy selling it woulda ya?

9. silver

silver Registered Member

[/ QUOTE ]
    correction: SM465 transmission

even more reason to buy it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

10. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

I know the owner of that truck and have driven it, i must say, the 454 has plenty of power and its really nice, the body is in great shape and u cant beat the drivetrain setup (SM465/205 w/ the 1 tons) im gonna miss the truck when grant sells it, but if it goes to a fellow ck5 then it cant be that bad

phill

11. shupach

shupach 1/2 ton status

edit upon further inspection, it turns out grant has an 8 lug D44