Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pros and Cons of body lifts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 8BaLL, Jun 16, 2002.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I have read where if you put a body lift on your truck then it will expose the engine to road debree and is harmful. What are the pros and cons of body lifts and how high and what not should one go?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pros:

Provides unchanging lift that the tires cannot flex up into. Gives you an excuse to change those worn out crappy bushings. Cheap.

Cons:

Looks kinda stupid but you can hide that. Puts more stress on body mounts. Raises center of gravity considerably. Makes shifters for certain t-cases close to the floor, others makes them difficult to adjust and work.

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I have a one inch Off Road Design body lift and I would say that it's a worthwhile modification. It doesn't have the drawbacks associated with two or three inch body lifts. I would have to dissagree with the center of gravity point though. By lifting the body you are only lifting the body not the whole rig. The frame stays closer to the ground thereby keeping the center of gravity lower than a suspension lift which raises the frame and the body resulting in a higher center of gravity.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Did you have to modify the shifter linkage for the t-case or trans with the 1"? Ive got a 700r4 and 208. Id like to do the 1" but dont want to jack with the linkages.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

They sell extended shifters linkages, you'd have to check at your local off-road store for prices. Most body lifts are not safe with a suspension lift, plus there are a lot of hidden changes to be made with a body lift, like lowering the radiator, raising the bumpers, unsightly gap at the rear wheel wells, the motor even deeper under the hood (okay, not a real drawback but makes it harder to work on).
    I prefer a suspension lift, cost wise they really are comparable when you add up the time involved for installation, parts, any extras you didn't know about, etc.
    The suspension lift gives you a firmer ride, better articulation, allows wider tires without extra wheel offset, makes more room for working on stuff. The drawbacks are that "firm" ride can be kidney pounding, best if used on a weekend warrior type vehicle, driveline angle problem start appearing with a short wheelbase type vehicle, higher center of gravity, outflexing your driveline (pullout). If all you are going to do is drive on the street, or a little light off roading, go with the body lift, if you play a lot in the rocks or snow, go with a suspension lift, both work equally well in the mud and sand. Good luck!

6. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I have a 3inch on mine and the body mounts under the doors keep breaking from the added stress.It does work to keep my tires from rubbing but i may put on a taller lift so i can do away with the body lift.

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

umm I didn't lower my radiator....the fan shroud was cut, but the radiator was not touched.

You don't have to raise the bumper's, they make a fill piece that fits in nicely........

I don't have an unsightly gap at the rear wheel wells? or do I just think it's not unsightly?

I think the big thing to remember is that there are people that don't like body lifts for whatever reason, and in some posts (not this one in particular) you can tell who does and who doesn't. I personally have a 4" Skyjacker Soft-Ride System, and a 3" body lift. I woudn't change either of them. The Skyjacker has a very nice ride, not to soft, just about perfect. The body lift did cause my transfer case linkage to be too short- but with the 208 you don't have to buy anything, you just turn the linkage to extend it. I had no problems with 4lo- it was 4hi that wouldnt stay engaged. It's just as easy as it sounds..just coat it with liquid wrench (or similar) first to be able to see what the heck your trying to turn.

In all honesty I dont notice a higher center of gravity. This is the first lifted vehicle I have driven, and it doesn't seem to "top heavy " to me, even with the 7" total lift. I guess if your going to bank a corner at 80, it's gonna go upside down...regardless of suspension or body....

my opinion, is to check out some rigs that have 1 or the other, and compare it to one that has both..that way YOU can decide which way you want your truck to look, and what you want it to do. I don't go off-road so mine's for looks, I like the way it looks with both lifts. I'm gonna like it more with bigger tires, but ehhh christmas isn't too far away.

Brandy

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I already have a 4" rough Country suspension lift. Im thinking od putting an ORD 1" body lift on when I replace the body mounts. Im hoping that will give me the little extra clearance for the 35's, rather than trimming the fenders. I dont like the body lifts for many of the reasons mentioned in this post, but I figure only a 1" should be OK.

9. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I dont know whether or not to put a 6inch suspension lift or a 4 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body lift. What do you guys recommend? I was thinking that maybe the 4 inch susp. and 2 inch body lift might be a little easier to install and would have less things that i would have to alter. Any input? Also how large of tires do you think I could fit on without trimming the fenders? I am just wanting to go mudding so no rock climbing or anything.

10. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You know i was one of those guys who saw a body lift as the cheap way to get bigger tires and never thought of putting one on, but after a wheeling trip with The General watching what he put his truck through with a 6 & 3 lift it was a no brainer so when the body mounts were ordered so was a 3" lift. I went from being able to run 35s to running 40s for $69.00 and havent noticed any bad traits. I dont "wheel" my truck to hard out here (its North Carolina /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ). One good thing from it is that i can change my spark plugs without popping the hood. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I'm currently putting a 3 inch lift on my wife's truck, and can't wait to see how it looks! I'm just about ready to put the body back on and the engine in. I used to have a 208 and now have a 205 so lingage isn't a problem. One person siad something about less things to change with a body lift... Not true. They're about equal the work but you get different results.. If I had a 7" suspension lift, my whole body would sway around every corner. I would have to severly modify my driveshafts and pinion angle, and would have to add some very needed attention to my steering setup... With the mixture of body and suspension, I can keep my driveshafts relativly simple and not have to mess with the pinion angles. My steering works as is with a simple steering arm and my center of gravity stays lower for when my wife wants to take curves at dangerious levels of speed.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif That's about how it goes.... You really can't say everything to make up one's mind, you have to test things out and see what feels better! /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

12. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

If your just looking for 1 more inch you could get the 0pre load block/add a leaf and hill shackles that give u a IN.

13. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im still considering the 0 rates from ORD, but the 1" body is also tempting since I have to replace the mounts anyways. Who knows, maybe Ill do both. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

Hey Sapper, how big of a suspension lift do you have and what size tires are you running in both your pictures? Have you done any fender trimming? Your blazer is pretty damn good looking. I'm wanting to make my blazer look like yours. Have you got any more pics of your blazer after the body lift? I am kinda wanting to see what the rear end looks like. In the pic it looks like your bumber sits a little low. I am just wanting to know how my blazer will look before I do it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

15. 8BaLL

8BaLL Registered Member

I have another question. Does the body lift expose the engine to much? I read that a body lift exposes the engine too much and isnt good for it when offroading.

16. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt worry about the exposure to the elimates when offroading but with a body lift I wouldn't wheel to hard, might snap your distributor and that can suck. if you like body lifts go put it on a ford where it belongs. Might wanna get you a moonvisor and a bugshield to match that body lift.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm going with the 6" suspension lift. In the future, I might add the ORD 1" body lift, but I belive the suspension lift is the better way to go. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

18. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

PRO: Makes room for a supercharger! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

19. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think I'd want a Supercharger to come through the hood !!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif That'd be worth showing off !!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

20. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the truck has a 4 & 3 lift with 40" gumbo mudders. i had to trim the fenders pretty good when it was only a 4" suspension and 35"s to flex and it did that pretty good. i like the body lift and will keep it. the rear bumper is REALLY low because i didnt bother to put it back on right after the body lift. The metal shop on base is going to be bending me up some bumpers but with being deployed 5 months so far makes time a big issue. glad you like the way it looks.