Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pro's and cons of headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by foxman, Nov 18, 2003.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

pro\'s and cons of headers?

I'm looking to replace the whole exhaust system fom the exh manifolds back (duals). What is the gain on using headers? Any harm in using them?... what's more what do I do with the air pump stuff that hooks in to the stock manifolds? I don't have a belt going to the air pump now and dont seem to feal/hear a difference. I have standard 350 tbi (reman) should I run 2 1/4', 2 1/2' or 3" pipe? I think my bender can only bend up to 2.5"

thanks

Jeremy

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: pro\'s and cons of headers?

Dual 2.5" pipe would be plenty. I have dual pipes,dual 40 series flowmasters,with manifolds and no cats. I noticed a huge difference with my old 350. The new 406 hasn't had anything different so no comparison. With headers you can't get cheap! cheapies leak terribly,tinny sound, don't make as much power, and don't last forever. I am considering Doug thorley Tri-y's because they are probably one of the best out there. The flanges are very thick and don't leak. They aren't really loud though, like the cheapies, really help out mid range power.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

street legal headers should have the air pump attachments on them... my edelbrocks do...

edelbrock TES

j

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Doug Thorlys...they added a lot of low end torque to my truck...
    then get a set of these headed bolts so you don't have to mess with leaks...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I have strait wire boots coming off the plugs, I'm guessing I'd have to change some to angled boots in order to clear the headers and not burn up???

tks.

Jeremy

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Doug Thorlys...they added a lot of low end torque to my truck...
    then get a set of these headed bolts so you don't have to mess with leaks...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tony, didn't you have some problems with these mounting up properly in the 1st gen? What is the part number on those?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

I'm running Edelbrock TES, smog-legal and everything. Not sure if I would do headers again. Can't tell about performance since I did a whole top-end makeover when I put headers on, but it runs nicely at low rpm, and pulls much better into the top rpm range than before. However, I have a lot more heat under the hood now, and changing spark plugs is an adventure: most of them I have to do from underneath the truck. I'm using wires w/ 90 degree connectors and run the wires along the block and up at between #5 and 7 (#6 and 8 on pass. side). Haven't had trouble with burned ignition wires, just the little plastic wire separator thingies keep melting every now and then.