Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro's and Cons of running without the tailgate, and running a Gatornet?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bullet, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Pro\'s and Cons of running without the tailgate, and running a Gatornet?

I'm looking into reducing the weight of the Jimmy for offroad use. Going to take the top off and store it, take out rear carpet and ins. along witht eh rear seat. Thats an easy 400+lbs weight loss right?

Now, if I removed the electric-motored tailgate and replaced it with a Gatornet, I'd lose about another 120lbs or so and possibly get a hair better MPG.

By losing the tailgate, will I lose any structural integrity of the rear quater panels? I realize I can do a truck tailgate to keep the strength,(if needed) but I dont want to go through the hassle of the prep&paint to get it to match the Jimmy's current paintjob. I'd rather have a DOM tube cut and bolted on to where the tailgate latches(if needed)

So, will I have any problems of running the Gatornet and going offroad?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: Pro\'s and Cons of running without the tailgate, and running a Gatornet?

i would at least have some sort of tube like you mentioned that would reinforce the rear some..but it couldnt hurt, and that top probably weighs 400lbs or close by itself...

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might want to do the tube. After my last adventure, My rear is somewhat tweaked.

Let me rephrase that to say, After my last Moab trip, My tailgate does not line up correctly now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

NO WAY! 400lbs? i believe it is 188lbs. i can put it on with two people on my truck which has 10" of lift and 39s- 400lbs would be impossible. . . i believe it weighs 188lbs. with sliding glass, which i have.

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

thats it? the top on my 4runner weighs a good 250 or so..i figured the big boy truck topper would be heavier...oh well

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

the fulltops are about 350....

7. BowtieRed

well, 1990s don't have full tops, now do they /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Damn i felt pretty damn strong until you said that it weighed 188... I almost took the top off comepletey by myself once i had it lifted up when i was in the truck but i had no idea how i was gonna get down.. (jumping out the back didnt seem like a good idea with a Blazer top on my back lol)

9. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Jr has a tendency to exaggerate a tad, but I believe he is talking about the combined weight of the top and the rear tailgate.

One other thing, if you want better gas mileage, get your foot off the floor!!! When you drive, we can pass anything but a gas station.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. BowtieRed

[ QUOTE ]
    and that top probably weighs 400lbs or close by itself...

[/ QUOTE ]
    this is what i was responding to

11. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

so is 188 an official number? has anyone weighed one with sliders to get that number?

12. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

How 'bout without slider. I want to know too. I've taken my top off by myself a couple of times, and even put on by myself (big pain in the arse). My bed sides now show signs of something not going right, but then again my paint job aint so great so I don't really care.

Kirk

13. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here are the weights that I remember

Top with sliders: 188#
    Tailgate with glass/motor: 116#
    Rear seat: 60#
    Rear carpet/padding: 50#
    Side panels 6# ?

Total 420#

I would run the bar:

[​IMG]

14. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Meanwhile back on the ranch...

I'll tell y'all what, I know some guys that work at Feed stores, so I'll weigh the Jimmy as is, then take the top off and weigh it again to get the offical weight. Then I'll take the rear seat and insulation out, weigh it, then fianlly take off the tailgate and wiegh it again.

BTW, the Jimmy weighs 5750lbs and thats with everything you see below on my sig + 3/4 tank o' gas

Oh, and Derf, who was racing the Honda yesterday at the red light??? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I want to do Steve, IIRC didn't Rockstomper fab that bar up for you? Do you have any pics of that bar and how it attaches/bolts to the latch?

16. BowtieRed

:jumps for joy clapping and yelling like a 10 year old girl: I was right for once!! oh my goodness! yee-hee! :/jumps for joy clapping and yelling like a 10 year old girl:

how about the doors- i took those off by myself the other day and that last bolt SUCKED

17. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So you have the problem of your tailgate not lining up too? I had a tailgate and a rear window when I tweaked mine up a bit.

Now what if you didn't care about the body of your rig? Would you still need to reinforce it?

18. BowtieRed

i would still just through a 2x4 in there and screw it in somehow, just to prevent major buckling. . . but idk it it would help any. . .

19. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i would still just through a 2x4 in there and screw it in somehow, just to prevent major buckling. . . but idk it it would help any. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, if you want to look like some Deliverance backwater hillbilly /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I plan on running a truck tailgate for the winter, so I would still want that to line up right. The bar might be handy to mount stuff to maybe. I guess if your not worried about the body, Go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif