Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro's and Con's of the D44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CaveBlazin, Oct 3, 2002.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Pro\'s and Con\'s of the D44

Hey maybe yall can give me some pro's and con's of this 10 bolt. Ive been thinking about changing but I dont know to much about it.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Pro\'s and Con\'s of the D44

are you talking about going from a 10bolt to a dana44? if so it not worth it unless you are getting a 8 lug 44 and even then it is the same streangth of a half ton 44 just has 8lugs and bigger brakes

3. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The last year for the D44 was 78 IIRC. The 30 spline 10 bolt is equally strong though so it's kind of a moot point. Both are good when used within their limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Spence I pulled this just double check myself, they are about the same, thats one of the reasons I never went to a 44 /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

This was a commonly discussed issue on the board a year or more ago, but instead of re-hashing the pros and cons, (like pinion gear diameter, spline count, etc.) they are pretty equal. And by equal I mean so equal that there is really no reason to swap one for another unless it nets you something your axle doesn't have, i.e. lower gears, 8 lugs (to match a rear 14 FF), etc. I didn't even swap the axle when I went to 8 lug on my old k10, just swapped the outers from the 77 D44 on to my 10 bolt.

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Are the 14bolt and 10bolt rear ends the same width? If they are could you use a 8lug to 6 lug conversion to make up the width difference between the front and rear axles? What would the benifit or disadvantage of having the rear narrower than the front as many blazer are? I have always wondered that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif