Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by OneLeft, Sep 17, 2001.

1. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

Pro\'s and Con\'s

After replacing my broken 4" Superlift spring with a new pair of (free) 4" superlift springs, I am ready to think about doing this shackle flip we have talked about before. I have only a couple of concerns.

1. Are there any major ill effects with going to a 6" spring in the front?
    2. I notice I do not have a lot of extra room between the front of the rear tire and the body. I have read that the shackle flip will close that gap even more? Is this true with the 2.5 flip I am thinking about doing?

I am open to any other comments or suggestions you might have. My 4" lift does fine. I am just thinking that to remove that goofy stock shackle in the rear would make me feel better. Haha!

<font color=red>One</font color=red><font color=blue>Left</font color=blue>
    Have <font color=red>K5</font color=red>, will travel.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/OneLeft>See my ride</a>

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: Pro\'s and Con\'s

I don't think the 2.5" flip will move the rear axle forward much if at all. The arch in the spring is the kicker here, it makes it hard to say for sure what will happen. One thing to keep in mind is as the spring compresses, it'll move the axle back, so you need a little extra space behind the tire for it to move into.
    About the only thing you'll notice with a 6" in the front is the height. The springs are typically a little stiffer, but you also have more ride height which can help compensate for that to some extent. Going to greasable bushings will also help the stiffness.
    If you want more ride height, going to the flip and raising it is the thing to do. I wouldn't go taller just for the purpose of getting rid of the stock shackle unless you have other motives. If you want to use that as a reason that's fine, we have to blame something for having to work on the truck.......;-)

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

3. OneLeft

OneLeft 1/2 ton status

Re: Pro\'s and Con\'s

Its not that I have to find a reason, I just think I'd like the shackle flip that you provide. I just dont want to open a can of worms, so to speak, or lose the "use ability" of my rig. The lift thats on it now is doing the job, nice height and good flex. Dont want to go too tall, but the added 2.5" might be cool. I could always try and sell my ProComp 4" front springs. I guess I will just need to make up my mellon! Haha!

Hey thanks for the help, advise and time!

<font color=red>One</font color=red><font color=blue>Left</font color=blue>
    Have <font color=red>K5</font color=red>, will travel.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/OneLeft>See my ride</a>