Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, Pros and Cons of removing inner fender well up front. Thinking of doing this befor I trim my fenders. Think it'll make it easy for changing the plugs, and tighting header bolts. But whats the draw back ???? Will I need to fab some brackets to keep the fenders from flapping in the wind at highway speeds ???

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Road spray, water, mud, snow, small animals, all will end up all over your motor. Unless it's trail only in a dry climate I wouldn't remove em.

Rene

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I dont run any when its dry out.

Pros-You dont have to stand on yer head or put yer butt on the core support and bend way over to work on the engine,you can sit on the tire and its right in front of yer face.If Im gonna drive in the rain or mud I throw them back in with 4 or 5 bolts.

Cons-Your engine and battery are in plain view for anyone that might like to put their hands on yer junk /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my buddys old truck we took them off to clear 38s on 2" lift and was very surprised after mudding one time how clean the motor still was. Was still a little muddy but nothing more than my truck with them really. It was really thick mud too so maybe in the wet gooy mud might be a different story.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I took mine off because they kept cutting my tires. I drive it in all sorts of weather and I 'wheel like that too (but I stay out of the mud) and my motor isnt that dirty.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Will I need to fab some brackets to keep the fenders from flapping in the wind at highway speeds ???

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No...

Rene

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run without my inners as well. When I hit deep mud with them on.. the engine got muddy, with them off, the engine got muddy. If your playing hard enough, it doesn't make that big of difference.