Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pros & Cons 71/72 vs. 73/74

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Proeliator, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Proeliator

Proeliator Registered Member

I'm a recent bowtie convert and am looking at a handfull of Blazers in the area, one of which I'd like to buy. I'm been going through the threads, and I must say you have allot of good info. My basic question is, would I be better off buying a 1st gen or one of the early 2nd gens? I see where the 1st gen is prone to rust, but I would think a 73/74 would have the same problems. I like the 1st gen body style much better, but are there any better components or after market support for the 73/74 style? Thanks for any info.

2. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Personaly I think the first generations look better. I have never had one but I have a 68 4x4 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif and its very similar. I do know the later model front springs are a few inches longer, and that can give you a better ride and wheel travel. How much more I cant say. There is a strong aftermarket support for both models so thats not really a deciding point. I would say the first generation will hold a better value then the 2nd. Its up to you, you really cant go wrong with either.

3. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

First Gen's are way cooler! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Its a proven fact. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Evan

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Gotta go with the First gen. 72!!!!! They look a lot meaner too!!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

To be realistic, the 1st Gen parts and aftermarket is NOT as strong as the later K5's.....

But if you ask most people in this forum, the answer is clear....1st Gen all the way!

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you really need to decide on what you think your plan is going to be, do you want to lift it, big tires, and wheel the hell out of it or go mild and do some mild offroading with a lot more focus on resto work.

if the first is your option then I"d go for a cheap 73/74 so you can cut fenders and what not and not feel guilty, and errors are cheaper to fix. if the second is more your liking then go ahead and start with the first gen. I kind of wish I would have started with a 74 and got a first gen later on but it's a little late now. and like they said you can sell the first gen a lot easier

7. Proeliator

I figure I could put a mild lift on it, enough to fit 35s without hitting the fenders...yes, no? I've got another truck that is my hard core off-roader. This I would like to restore but also trick out so it will be fully capable when I go up to play in the woods and snow. Just no rocks or extreme bogs...I'll save that for my Highboy. Basically I'd want to put in a corp 14 in the rear and at least beef up the front 44, and maybe a bigblock in it if I don't just the stroke the 350. I don't want to hack the body though...those 1st gens just look to awesome for that. So with the above plan in mind, does that steer your advice one way or another?

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I was stuck when I was looking too...But the first gens with the top off are hard to beat... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

First Gen's are more desirable and tend to sell for more. Sure they have rust problems, but your going to find that with a '73 - '75 too. The second gen's have a problem with the frames cracking around the steering box. They sell kits to prevent this but if your buying one that is already lifted, make sure that the frame is in good shape.

This is my second first gen. My first truck, a '72 CST, had a 4" lift and 35" tires. I didn't wheel it much and never had issues with rubbing. My current K5, a '69, has a 6" lift and 35's. They both are good on the highway, although my current truck has a rancho lift and it is stiff as he!!. If you go bigger than 35's, you should start considering swapping to 3/4 ton or bigger axels.

10. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

If you want a removable top that comes all the way off (to make a convertable) the early second gens have the same type of top. The also remove above the cab, instead of just behind it like later 2nd gens. the one behind the barn is a 73, and I am not sure for how many years they did this. I have heard just 73 and 74, and someone else told me 73, 74 and 75. so, if thats what yer looking for, this should help in your decision. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This I would like to restore but also trick out so it will be fully capable when I go up to play in the woods and snow.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's your answer, go get yourself a first gen and enjoy it

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

'76 is when they changed to cab back removable tops.

13. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

wow, so both of my curent understandings are wrong. The one was told from a guy whi wasnt sure, just guessing, and the other was from an old pot-head hippie guy that I know.

14. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

I would rather be seen in a 1st gen 'cause I think they are better looking by far. however if I were building a purpose built off-road machine I would go with a 73 or 74 blazer simply becuase the aftermarket is so strong for them.

15. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The '73-'75 has the same (if not more) leakage and rust problems as the '69-'72.

Given your planss to keep the truck fairly mild, I'd say that either way is a good deal. I'd go with a '69-'72 myself, but truthfully, either setup would be a good thing.

16. Proeliator

Well, my minds made up, I'm going to get one of the first gens. Thanks for the advice guys. They don't salt the roads out here so many of them aren't rusted to badly. I've practically memorized the cancer post so I'll look closely.

17. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Where abouts in Oregon are you? There is one for sale on Blazerworld.net in the Bend area.

18. Blazerholic

Blazerholic Registered Member

WOW! must be nice to not have salted roads!Both my first gens are cancer victims, one in end stage hospice /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.But I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. Oh, and I failed to mention I'm the guy who has to salt the roads here in nothern KY. Kind of like slitting your own wrists eh? But without all the overtime I probably couldn't afford my K5 habit! Catch 22... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. Proeliator

I'm in St. Helens. Theres a couple 1st gens being sold here locally but I'll check out the website you mentioned. Bend wouldn't be to far to go for a sweet deal.

20. kiley

kiley Registered Member

I agree. For hard core wheeling the 73-75's would be my choice. For fun in snow, trails and just lookin cool riding with the top down, go for first gens!