Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pros/cons bobbing a long bed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rix_Gotta_Blazer, May 2, 2003.

1. Rix_Gotta_Blazer

Rix_Gotta_Blazer 1/2 ton status

i may buy a '75 longbed this weekend. in the future, i might plan to bob the rear end to prevent dragging. has anyone done this before? any good/bad experiences? im not experienced in the "saw-zall fix-all" department. your input is appreciated. p.s. the body is bad, cosmetics are not an issue.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you're not worried about the way it looks, hack away! The only problem you'll run is that the rear spring hangers are pretty close to the back of the frame.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I thought about this too but you can't remove all that much do to the rear spring hangers. But hey a few inches will still help your departure angle(dragging you spoke of /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I've done it and added flatbed, and have had absolutely no problems.

BTW - I now plan to shorten the wheelbase and bob the frame even more now that I have a mild K5 to drive daily, I'll let you know how that turns out too.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

most people I know hate flatbeds, and I don't get why. I like a nice flatbed. Maybe not on a brand new rig but on an older truck a nice metal flatbed maybe with some toolboxes integreated into the bed floor are nice. Well if you make it nice, I have seen some nasty ones. And please if you ever do a flatbed don't weld it to the frame. Is it that hard to drill a few mounts? You may not keep it and someone may want a bed.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Everyone bobs their bed. What I've never seen before is the reverse mohawk lengthwise bob. NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL INDEED! Dare to be differenet!~

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not much sense in bobbing a k5 unless you have gone coil overs in the rear or something. I guess you could get 6" or so off without hitting the spring hanger bracketry... but I dunno if its really worth it for just 6". Someday when I have 3/4 link in the rear on my rig, Im takin a foot or 2 off. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

the departure angle on long beds SUCK. i plan on bobing mine after i get a few more important projects done. the only problame i can think of is its gonna be hard to sleep in the bed with the tail gate up.

9. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its gonna be hard to sleep in the bed with the tail gate up.

[/ QUOTE ] You already have problems back there with the tailgate down you tall monkey bastard! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif yes indeed, pretty soon im gonna have to sleep UNDER the truck!