Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pro's & Con's / Clocking TC vs. Lifting TC?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DougK20, Jan 5, 2005.

1. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Trying to accomplish 2 things.

1. Clearance driveshaft over crossmember & exhaust y-pipe
    2. Raise TC for ground clearance and flat belly skidplate

I could clock it, or put a 1" spacer between TC adapter and crossmember. Assuming I already have a 2" body lift, what are the pros & cons of each?

BTW, 350, 400, 208 longbed regular cab pickup with 6" suspension lift. Thanks!

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

If you put a spacer between the tc and crossmember you are effectively tipping the engine forward. This is not a good option. At the same time you are tipping the engine forward you are increasing the angle on your rear drive shaft. You may gain a little clearance over the crossmember and Y-pipe, but the trade offs are pretty bad.

I'd have to say go with the clocking. Only Con I can think of here if you already have a body lift is exhaust may or may not need to be rerouted.

Here is another suggestion for you though. Is your front drive shaft the right length? If its a bit short you can run the shaft spacer which give you the clearance in front of the crossmember by moving the joint forward in relation to the crossmember. If you front shaft is already the right length then disregard.

3. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

True, it would tip the engine forward. But, only 1 inch. What would that hurt?

Yes, the rear driveline angle would increase. But, it's a longbed and I was going to install a CV in its shaft anyway.

I could use a driveline spacer now, but that only meets one of my goals. I really want to flatten out my skidplate.

All opinions welcome on the matter. I can't go wheelin' til I figure out the best option. Thanks!

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

You would need to clock it AND raise it to gain a completeyly "flat "belly.

I did both to mine to obtain the flat belly. I clocked the t-case all the way up and it still hung down about 2 inches below the frame rails. SO I raised the rear of the t-case. Yes it is tipping the engine forward but I see no problems with that if you have the room to do it. Mine fan hit the return lines for the tranny cooler when the truck got twisted but that has been all.

My rear shaft was already a 1 ton CV but it is now about 3/4" too short. The front shaft was too short so I legthened it by sleeving it and ground out all the stops on it to allow it to have the steeper angle.

So far it has not given me any problems running it this way. The only thing it may be doing is wearing the seal in the rear of the t-case out a bit more but not enough to worry about.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Where can i get one of these spacers. I made a few calls last week and no one knew what i wnated. I would like an inch.

[/hijack]