Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pros & cons of 71/72 vs. 73/74

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Proeliator, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Proeliator

Proeliator Registered Member

I'm a recent bowtie convert and am looking at a handfull of Blazers in the area, one of which I'd like to buy. I'm been going through the threads, and I must say you have allot of good info. My basic question is, would I be better off buying a 1st gen or one of the early 2nd gens? I see where the 1st gen is prone to rust, but I would think a 73/74 would have the same problems. I like the 1st gen body style much better, but are there any better components or after market support for the 73/74 style? Thanks for any info.

2. rphenry250

rphenry250 Registered Member

me personally, i would get a 1st gen blazer, if you can afford one. they fetch a good price if they are restored properly. i would have a first gen, but then i would just beat the hell out of it, and i dont wanna do that to that bodystyle, its just to rare. i have a second gen, and its awesome. if you go later than 75, u dont have the full convertible

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm a recent bowtie convert and am looking at a handfull of Blazers in the area, one of which I'd like to buy. I'm been going through the threads, and I must say you have allot of good info. My basic question is, would I be better off buying a 1st gen or one of the early 2nd gens? I see where the 1st gen is prone to rust, but I would think a 73/74 would have the same problems. I like the 1st gen body style much better, but are there any better components or after market support for the 73/74 style? Thanks for any info.

[/ QUOTE ]

handful of them ?? what area ?
    id go with 71-75 one, disc brakes plus full convertible.
    none of which exist in central il, lol
    and dont buy rust, buy the cleanest one you can afford, if at all possible.

good luck

4. Proeliator

I'm in Oregon and there are like 7 in these years for sale right now, locally. I knew about the disk brakes which is why I'm sticking with 71 and up, and stopping at 74 because of the full top and smog exemption. I haven't heard a reason otherwise, so I think I'll shoot for the 1st gen cuz I really like that body style. They aren't going for any more than the 2nd gen if you can believe that. Right now there are two 72s that are pretty clean, ones $2600 and ones $3100. Seems good to me!

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you lookin in the truck trader? i just picked one up today, there are some pretty OK rigs in there.

oh yea where are you at in oregon ;P

6. Proeliator

Yup, truck trader is my rag of choice. I'm up in St. Helens, how about you. Did you make it up to the big mud park event we had here this weekend?

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I think the first gen bodies actually held up better as far as rust goes. Those first few years of the '73 and up body style rusted like crazy.