Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PROS & CONS of boxing out my frame.

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

I would like to know if some one has boxed out there frame? What are the pros and cons? I heard that it would make some parts of the frame stronger but add more stress to others. Also could I do it with out striping down the whole truck?Any info would be great.

Thanks Quetzal

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Pro
    Stiffer
    Can open the door when the suspension is all twisted up
    Stronger
    Did I say stiffer

Con
    Takes a long time
    Have to move all the things in the frame (fuel lines, wires, etc..)
    Have to have a welder (and know how to use it)

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If the entire frame is either trussed or boxed, the distribution of stresses should remain close to original. If only portions of the frame are boxed, you will create increased stresses at the ends of the boxing and in the areas that are not boxed.

In short, there's too much to consider here and it'd be easier and cheaper to put a full cage in the truck to prevent it from twisting up (and more effective, since the trussing that the cage will provide is about 4' tall and the frame is only about 6" tall). You also get the gee-whiz factor of having a vehicle with a cage.

4. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Good info! Makes sence. I planed on puting a full cage(family cage) to protect my little munchken when she tags along with daddy. She likes to ride in the back seat. So I guess there will be no need to box the frame. Thanks!