Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Protechk5's M1008 official build up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Apr 28, 2007.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ha well Im going to start my build up thread too. Im starting with my 85 m1008 6.2 with a 465/205 I swapped in a few months ago. It has stock dana 60 and 14 bolt with 4.56's and detroit in the rear. Here it is as it was
    [​IMG]

So I ordered all my stuff I need. Im going to be running 6" Alcans for the front, they are 2" longer than stock and with Diy6x's heavy duty 6" H shackle. Also a zero rate to move the axle 1.5" forward and re drill my preches so total my axle will be moved 2 1/2" forward. I dont know with my 6.2 if the Alcans will really be 6", but Im hoping to have around 7" total up front.

For steering I ordered the ORD cross over kit and got a new 1.5" tierod from them too. I got a new 2wd steering box too. All my steering will be new, so hopefully it will be perfect.

Im going to run 40x13.50-17r MT/R's on H2 rims, but I wont have enough money for them until next paycheck so until then Im going to run Muddybuddy's 39x??-16.5r boggers until then.

My rear ill be running diy4x's 4" shackle flip with a 6" shackle and a 3" block. Im only going to run the block until I can find some new springs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well I pulled the front end apart, since I was having some death woble that just came up rear bad, I decided to change my kingpins too b/c I didnt see anything wrong with my steering parts so I thought maybe it could be my kingpins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ha that doesnt look good:eek1:

[​IMG]
    still cant get over how huge everything is on a dana 60

Ok so after getting my drivers side hubs and black plates off, I started to take the knuckle off, thats when I found where my death woble was coming from. The kingpin somehow came lose, I could unscrew it by hand:eek1:. So Im really glad I decided to do my kingpins!

[​IMG]
    All my crap in a pile

[​IMG]

So got everything off, excetp that shackle cuz Ill have the cut the bolt b/c my exhaust is in the way, ill have to cut it and put the bolt in the other way. Im waiting on most of my parts to come, it will all be done on Friday so Ill keep you all post as I go along. Im going to be doing all the work at night after work to get this done before next Saturday so its going to be hard.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

should be nice once its done. ill actually have someone around here that doesnt have a sissy truck to wheel with

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is this truck gonna be street driven? I have 6" Alcan's up front on my truck as well as 2.5" Alcan's and a shackle flip in the rear. I truly hate the way the truck handles now, in fact I almost parted the whole thing out in disgust. I'm sure they're awesome for trail only (crazy flex...) but terrible handling on the street.

I'm going to swap some 52's or 56's under the rear and add some TC 4" HD springs under the front.

rene

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

ha yeah it will, and alot. i was planning on if it not handling that good, i would add a tuff country add a leaf to stiffen the front up. i mean worst comes to worst ill just swap in some tc or bds 6 spings in

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The biggest negative I've found is the front springs are so soft they have a lot of lateral movement...which leads to massive death wobble and some seriously spooky steering.

With my old Rancho springs the truck handled great, cornered fine with little body lean and had no DW. As soon as I swapped in the alcans it cornered horribly with massive body lean and I instantly had horrible DW problems. It also dives brutally under moderate braking. I shimmed up front thinking it was a caster problem...no change. I swapped in new king pins, bushings and springs. Still had death wobble...so I added a couple of washers under the caps. This killed the death wobble finally but didn't do anything to make the steering feel normal.

Like I said, if it never saw pavement I'd love them...but on the road they are by far the biggest POS springs I've ever had the misfortune of owning. Go ahead and swap them in, see for yourself. I'm going to swap in some Tuff Country HD 4" springs though. As it is it's undrivable on the street IMHO...which is why I currently have it stored.

As for flex...this is where the alcan's do well. I used a forklift at work to pick up a rear tire. I chickened out before a tire lifted though. There was 51" under the rear tire and the other three were all still on the ground. My extended SS brakelines were close to becoming limit straps, and the 14.5" Bilstiens were almost maxxed out. Even with the diff moved forward 1.5", 6" of spring and a 1" BL the front tire (39.5's) was stuffed hard against the firewall/floor area.

It'd make a great "ramp champ" but it's not good for much else.

Rene

6. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Holla this week if ya need a hand. I'm leaving this Friday afternoon, but available.