Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Protected lands used for housing....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Aug 18, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wish I had the article on hand, I will try and find it at home this weekend. Last weekend I read an article in the paper about a piece of protected farmland back home. I'm not sure if everyone has this, but around where I'm from you can sell your building rights to a conservation group. You own the land but can't sell it to housing developers or anything. Keeps the land open and not full of a development. I love the idea(I hate developments they are overrunning my hometown with city people). But anyway, I read an article where some group was talking about building 13 houses on one of these properties. I have been saying since I first discovered what these conserved lands were that sooner or later some developer would find a loophole and build on them. What they are saying is, there is a piece of the land not used for pasture or farming so they can go ahead and build 13 new homes on it. :mad: :mad: :mad: Now I know the guy who owns the farm. He discussed selling into this program with me a while ago. He is a simple guy, boards horses and mows lawns for a living. He told me the amount they were going to give him to go into this conservation thinga nd how much THP was going to give him to build homes on it. The sum for the conservation was FAR less, but he felt it was more then he needed in his life(can't say I agreed) and that it outweighed building homes(agreed). Looks like hes going to get the best of both worlds now :mad: :mad:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status