Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Protecting Gas Tank?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 80K5, Aug 9, 2001.

1. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

What have some of you guys done to protect the gas tank. It seems pretty vulnerable left alone.
    Thanks!

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

2. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Good topic. I'd like to make a skid plate for mine buy don't know where to bolt it to. Anyone have any pics?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chriswhitley.com>www.chriswhitley.com</a>

3. 80K5

80K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have wanted to make one to but not sure on how to attach it.

Stuck? Isn't that a bird!
    Steve

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have the stock skid plate, can't remember how thick it is but it does it's job. I scraped it on many a rock without any dents. I would find the stocker and use it as a template to make a thicker one

~~'84 K5~~
    Check it out at:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>www.k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have a stock one also it bolts to the cross member front and rear. 'Three bolts on each one I think. It is about 3/16 thick and has held up very well. I would kick around in the junk yards and find one. As a bonus my truck has double cross members under the t-case and the skid plate for the case bolts to both instead of just bolting to the one and sticking straight back.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've found the stock '82 skidplate to work pretty well in preventing gouges and tears, but does little to prevent dents. The material is really flexy and it'll push up and dent the tank but never leave a mark on the skidplate. My bumper has done a great job of protecting the tank, the bottom tube is just below it and has taken a real beating.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You might try looking under older rigs in the JY. I got a factory skid plate from a '74 or so Suburban that a guy was parting out. In addition to the bottom plate that the newer ones use, it also has side protection. It's pretty beefy. I got it for $20 and took it off myself to make sure that I got all of the attaching hardware.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Would this work;if you have bodylift,raise the tank same as the lift is,then fabricate skid plate which bolts to the frame w/crossbars front and rear of the skidplate.I might be doing like that on my K5(when I get it:)).

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.