Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

protecting welds...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Mar 3, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have some welds that peeps have done for me that I want to protect from rust as best I can. What is generally used for this purpose? I was thinking maybe slathering the bead area with epoxy, letting it set good and hard, and then painting it really well. Would that work? is there a substance made specifically for this? Any info appreciated... i dont like the idea of rust infecting vital welds... and it seems like sometimes when i rattle-can paint a weld it starts to rust anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Look for some stuff called "3M Seam Sealer". It's sort of like a thick caulk that you can get in a quart paint can container. You can brush it on, or I just use a finger. It's the same (or very similar) stuff used by the factory to cover spot welded seams. It will dry hard, but it will stay somewhat flexible and not get brittle, and it can be painted just like steel. Plus, it seals the seam so, no leaks and no junk getting behind to cause rust…

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Good choice on the seam sealer but you need to etch the steel before applying ANYTHING to steel or whatever you put on is just sitting ON the surface. Not IN the surface.

Most people dont worry about it so I have never mentioned it before, but since your asking about protecting the steel the best....Its a zinc phosphate or zinc chromate product. I can never remember which it is, I know it by brand names, like Sikkens "Wash Primer". Its a translucent yellow and all you want is a full coating of it but you will never get full coverage w/ it. (its always gonna be see thru) All its supposed to do is etch the steel then you prime and or paint over it. You can get it in spray cans BTW. Just spray it on then go right over it, "wet on wet" w/ primer. You still need to let it dry out, but not FULLY dry, but there is no prep between them which is why its called wet on wet I guess.

Any surface rust you may have can be cleaned off w/ a phosphorus acid. OSPHO is the name brand I know. DuPont made a product named Kwik Prep or somethin like that that was much easier to use but didnt work as good on crusty rust. Just surface rust from moisture.

And for anyone thinking body paint, this stuff is ness. over galvanized steel.

I wish I knew the names of this stuff and I prob should since I did body and paint work for so long, but all I know is name brands of the products. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That "etching" stuff sounds like good stuff.

5. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Its the only way to make paint STICK to metal. Otherwise its just sittin there.

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I know it's already welded...but I use stainless rod...