Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Protection for frame mounted fuel pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's a pic of my new fuel pump mounted on the frame:

[​IMG]

It's in the C-channel above the T-case cross member, so it seems fairly protected from rocks and junk. Does anyone armor them up more?

The main thing I'm thinking about though, is the electrical connections. They are just sort of hanging out there to get covered with grime and salt or whatever. Do you think I should blob them up with silicone? It'd be easy enough to do, but I wonder what it would be like if I ever have to replace the pump. Will I ever get the silicone off the wire ends, or will I have to cut and resolder/crimp, etc...

Thoughts?

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    I couldn't imagine any rocks or anything getting up inside the C channel of the frame to hurt the fuel pump.
    Personally, I'm more concerned about this fuel pump just going out on me.. Might spend another $100 to have a trail spare so i won't be stranded.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I try to solder and heat shring every connection made outside the interior compartment. Even if you don't solder it, It's not a bad idea to heat shrink and then put split loom over the wires.

4. Mastiff

Looks the exact same as mine. What do you ask for at the parts counter? Mine just came as part of a full TBI conversion kit. It must be stock for some vehicle? Any idea on specs, like pressure and flow, etc?

5. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    I try to solder and heat shring every connection made outside the interior compartment. Even if you don't solder it, It's not a bad idea to heat shrink and then put split loom over the wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've got that covered, but I was thinking of the terminals themselves being directly exposed to the elements. Most OEM connections have a rubber cover or something so salt doesn't land right on them.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

You could get real fancy and go the junkyard and rob some boots off the wire that normally goes to the alternator. It's got a rubber boot about that size. Put that on and fill it full of dielectric grease and shove it on.