Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

protection from scratches?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by delta9blazer, Mar 24, 2000.

1. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

last time i went wheelin, i scratched the crap outta my truck. i know a lot of you on this board will scratch your bellies and say " them thars war wounds" "custom pinstripe job by bushco" or whatever. but some of you want your rigs to stay fairly shiny and straight. i have an idea to ward off those pesky scratches (mostly the light ones that you can't quite buff out). i can't get out to go wheeling and test this, so i thought with the beautiful weather, someone might be a ginuea pig for me (us).

get some contact paper from any store like walmart, longs, home depot, whatever. the stuff that they line shelves with. they come in all kinds of colors and patterns. in my motorcycle days, we would use the stock graphics as templates, and custom paint the contact paper and apply for an incredibly quick, easy-to-change look.

i'm thinking you could apply a strip from the headlight to the taillight, cutting for the doors to open. it wouldn't be the most stylish thing on the trail, but it would offer protection from the overgrown bushes that are the bane of these large, wide rigs. it seems that the majority of the scratches are located in the top to middle of the sides of the truck, along the length of it.

anyway, like i said, i can't get out wheelin for a couple of weeks or so at least, so.................

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

2. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

There's a company, and for the life of me I can't remember the name. But they manufacture magnetic panels, sorta like the Century21 agents with their advertisements on their door. But these cover the entire side front to back, top to bottom. You can even get designs, camaflouge, etc. Just make sure the paint's clean when you put 'em on...

Oh yea, I forgot to tell the rest of the board..., I told you it was going to be tight through those trees! [​IMG]

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

ya know the sound of freddy kruger's nails on anything? thats the sound those bushes (trees!) made.
    as much as the wife complains about the new scratches, getting them sure was a blast!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One cure for the scratches would be to put your rig on it's side nextime you go wheelin and boom no more worries cuz you just mad it into a true trail rig!! [​IMG] JK
    The scrathing is the main reason that paint replacement on my rig is in dead last for things to do to my rig.
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

5. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

Hey, after enough scratches your wife will get so tired of looking at it she will give you the money to get a new paint job!

I know I am not the only one that has a wife that controls the money!!!!!!!

74 K5

Leave it like you found it, or better!

6. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

or you could spray on like 80 more layers of clear coat

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Or, if a perfect appearance isn't a priority, just use some rattle-can in your body color. Wash truck, alcohol-wipe the scratch and 2" around it, and spray away. No masking, so no distinct line. Enough of these and you won't even be able to tell anymore where the old ones are!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

8. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

J.C.Whitney has some rolls of sticky back material for about 15.00 a roll. I bought black and am going to install it from stem to stern around the bottom for rocks and wheel spray.

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

9. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

When somebody says,"This is no s**t." You can usually count on a lie. I swear that I read a post where a guy brush applied semi gloss house paint and just touched up the scratches after wheeling. I'm not quite to that point yet, but a couple more trail rides, a bunch more tequila ,,,,,

10. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

When I paint my truck (later this summer) I am going to try this new paint called "Endura paint". They say it is super tough to resist scratches and chips. I was told that its the same paint they use to paint those toy Tonka trucks... you know the yellow ones. Its used on bulldozers and graders in real life too. Now thats tough paint. I will let you all know how it goes.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>