Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

prothane body mounts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by boots, Nov 3, 2002.

1. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Working on a '73 Blazer putting in prothane body mounts, and trying to figure out wich ones go where before I crawl underneath. I'm not sure there is enough of the old ones left to compare and figure out wich one goes where. Prothane does not have anything saying wichones go where. Thanks

2. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

I believe that on my 87' the mounts are all the same except for the ones under the radiator support, and the "tail"
    the ones for the rear most section were fatter than the mid body ones.
    Hope that helps.

Matt

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Same here, on my 87 blazer. radiator and maybe the tail bushings are smaller. Guess where they go then double check as your installing them that they fit solid and fill the mount areas ok. i went around a week or so later and retightened everything about a full turn.
    [​IMG]

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

The '73 Blazer are different everywhere!

I just did this Sunday!

What a PIA!!!

The radiator ones and the first group (so says LMC) are the same for all years. This 1st group is the one in the front of the cab. These get the cone lowers.

The next one are the bigger ones for the rear cab support. These get the cones underneath too.

The last two in the rear of the Blazer are really short.
    Basically they are flat pancakes. Apparently my Poly kit is for an '83 and later. I ended up using a very short poly for group #3, and keeping the originals for the last group#4. This last group pissed me off, as BOTH rear bolts were BENT beyond my ability to pull them out.

BTW: YOu will need to cut or grind out Group #3 from inside the cab. Hopefully your seat is already out.

Getting all new hardware is nice (ALA ORD's 1" lift). Lube up the mounts with some Lubrethane. This will help diminish the squeaks. So far I have NO SQUEAKS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Grouping and description numbers.

Front of the truck

Radiator mounts
    Group #1
    Group #2
    Group #3
    Group #4 (my originals)

Rear of the Blazer.

Good luck.

5. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Thank you thank you thank you. Gotta go start squirtin bolts with penetrating oil as soon as my 16 month old duaghter is put to bed.

boots

6. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

OK just squrited em for the first round, probably have two weeks before I get to changing them Someone said I have to attack one set from inside, under the rear seat, while i was squirtin em I found all for had hex heads of one type or another pointing down, ie bolt head or nuts. and in all the crawling around I've done on the inside I didn't see anything that resembled a body mount attatchment inside, am I missing something?
    thanks again
    boots

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In the bed part the bolts go down and bolt to the frame.
    They are long thick bolts, four if I recall correctly.
    I had a 73 that got a frame off rebuild 8 years ago so I still remember a few things, not everything.
    Anyway if you old mounts are still there even if wasted you will be able to figure out what goes where, and the previous post had it basically pretty well laid out.
    Now from what I recall the bolts in the bed where the fixed type (you know round on top with a square base) and the nuts go on from the bottom. But I guess sometime in it's previous life they were replaced by regular bolts. I did that because mine where rusted BAD.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I did my 3 inch body lift and poly mounts in under 5 hours by my self...

Not hard to do..

did i mention i used a grinder and sawzall...

lol

9. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Its been a while, but I think there is a set that you would cut a flap in the rear floorpan (the floor in front of the rear seats) to get at.

Matt

10. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

Ok I started em today, I'm not sure that I got the right set. For starters the literature that came in mine was for s-10 frame shackle bushings. I fianally found some that aproximate the radiator and first group, the third(?) group under the back seat has me baffled. I found one that was about the same diameter but it mic's out at about 1.155 inches tall and about 3.026inches dia., the one that is about the right height mics out at about 2.442 inches in diameter and about 2.294 tall. So if I could mate the two maybe they would reproduce what I need. any suggestions? Anyone still got there old prothane box around to compare kit numbers? only got the body mounts not complete kit. Anyone have a set laying around they can check numbers on?

11. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

i got a brand new set still in the box in my garage. i had the same problem with figuring out what went where. the new mounts look nothing like the stock ones. i called prothane for instructions as for which ones go where and they said they don't provide any.

12. boots

boots 1/2 ton status

can you check the numbers molded into them and list em here so I know I at least got the right ones? That would be greatly appreciated.

shawn