Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

protools model 105

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sams78chevy, Nov 13, 2005.

1. sams78chevy

sams78chevy Registered Member

I think this is the bender i am going to get. it is around 635 and comes with one die and bender stand handle and degree ring. Does anyone know anything about this bender? Any comments would be appreciated.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have this bender, its a great bender, nothing wrong with it.
    i would save on the stand and build it your self. it saves on shipping, same with the handle, its just a peice of 1x2 .083 wall 36" long. the bender comes with a drawing of the stand and what to use with the handle. my handle i made it 48" long, and you need the extra length sometimes.

i got mine for a little over $600 shipped for the bender, a 1.5" 5.5 CLR 240 degree die and the degree ring from www.mikegreen4x4.com . shipping alone was almost $75 for all 3 of these together.

3. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is that the HD 1 - you may want to look at that if you think you may add a hydro some time down the road

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got their Model 105HD (Heavy duty version)... works great.

I'd skip the degree ring unless you're also going hydro right away. A simple wooden protractor can allow you to compare the angle from your design to the bend in the die.

With hydro, it might be nice to have the degree ring and do a "one shot" bend all the way to the angle you need.

I bought their base to save me the hassle of buying the materials and building it myself....but I will tell you that if you plan on bending DOM tubing, don't waste your money on their 3-foot long "handle". You'll die trying to bend DOM with such a short lever. I use an 8" length of DOM as my handle and it's still a decent workout.

FWIW :wink1:

5. hero

hero Registered Member

I've got the 105HD as well, and love it. Like mentioned, the handle is nothing but a piece of 1x2 tubing. I agree the stand is nothing special either and yes they do give the instructions on how to build it. I did buy it because I didn't want to make one at the time.

I would recommend NOT buying a 120 degree die. I would get at least the 180 degree die. It doesn't look there is much cost difference, and it gives you the ability to do more.