Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proud Daddy (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by txfiremank5, Nov 3, 2006.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Well, my oldest girl, Hunter has expressed an interest in going hunting since last year. So this year we planned to let her go. I got behind a little and only just took her down to our range today to try her first shots with a real gun. I had planned to start her off with a 22, and then let her shoot our 223, but with the season opening tomorrow here, we didn't want to do too much shooting. So, we started her of with Grandma's 222, since it had a scope (All my rifles have open sights, which I preffer). After checking to make sure she remembered everything I told her about gun safety etc, and how to aim etc, we let her take her first shot. She was just over a 100 yards out, and did great. On purpose, and without her knowing, for her second shot, we didn't chamber another round to make sure she didn't jerk the trigger. She clicked off the dry fire just as smooth as a trained sniper.. not too shabby for an 8 yo girl, thinks dad. Especially after she was so surprised how loud the first one was. I really expected her to flinch for the second, but she didn't. Time for shot #3, (or the second live round) and it was even better. We went down to check the target, and changed it out for a "deer target". We explained to her where she needed to aim the cross hairs, just behind the shoulder etc etc, and she took two more shots. Fantastic shots, right in the pickle barrel.. kill zone.. and check out the grouping.. not to shabby at all.

So, tonight she's spending the night with the grand parents, and will go out in the morning, with grandpa, for her first hunt. I thought about taking her out for her first time, but grandpa is the "big hunter" in our family, and did a fine job of teaching my wife and her sister, as well as our niece, so I thought it would be nice for her to go with him for her first time.

The blind they will be in is only about 75 - 100 yards from my bedroom window, so I'll probably know if they get something right away. Anyway, I just thought I'd do a little bragging about how great she did on her first try. We did one more final "dry fire" trick on her at the end, and again she clicked it off nice and smooth. I guess with the name, Hunter, she better be a good shot! LOL

On with the pics..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Nice dood...;)

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

OMG CUTEEE!!!!1111!

That's so cute........ cute cute cute cute..........

4. txfiremank5

Thanks guys.

I do have to admitt though, that I sort of have mixed emotions about my "baby" inflicting deadly force, .. against anything. It's not that I'm against hunting at all .. or dealy force .. I guess I'm just not sure I'm ready for my little girl to ... (gulp) kill.

Weird huh ..

So far I have raised her to be tough, and stand up for herself... to keep the peace when need be, and hit back when there is no alternative. Now I'm not sure I'm ready to face her killing something. She's my wittle gurwl .. LOL! Maybe I'm just worried what she will think about her first kill, after the fact. Maybe I'm just thinking too much..

But I will say I'm damn proud of that shootin' :thumb:

5. txfiremank5

Well, she seemed to enjoy it this morning. They only saw a few does, so she didn't shoot anything.

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

thats awsome man, be sure to keep us posted if she gets anything
    and send me some deer jerky:)

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

yeah i want some deer jerky... so get busy

8. txfiremank5

Yeah, I'll probably post a pic of her first deer... maybe even another of me eating the jerky... and dry sausage. :thumb:

9. Confedneck79K30

you can do whatever you want to the deer, but we dont need the "special pictures".. now if you were sheep hunting or even goats, there may be some interest to certain members with tall rubber boots

10. txfiremank5

Yeah, but you won't need your rubber boots for these pics.

11. txfiremank5

Well, I know it's not a trophie, but it's her first deer. Not too shabby for a first one. She was pretty happy. I suspected that she wouldn't sweat the "killed an animal" thing, and I was right. I'm actually more shocked at how comfortable she was with it.

[​IMG]

12. Resurrection_Joe

Such a cute little girl, innocenct things are so beautiful

13. txfiremank5

Thanks RJ

She's been pretty happy all evening. I think she's been waiting for this since last year when she didn't get to go. I think Santa's going to have to bring her a deer rifle next year.

14. Resurrection_Joe

You raise her right like you have been

We need good people like you

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

how old is she?

16. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

awesome story. Great to see a girl being into that! I don't think one girl her age with in a few hundred miles of me here in so cal would do what she did. Congrats on raising a great girl, and teach her the knee to the groin early so she can fend off all the icky boys.

17. txfiremank5

She's 8. She'll be 9 on Dec 1.

I try.. I'm doing the best I can to raise well rounded folks. LOL :thumb:

Yeah, she's still pretty much a girly girl.. (which I have no problems with, since she is, in fact, a girl) But I aim to raise her to be able to do things for her self when the time comes etc. such as hunting if she wants, or wrenching on a car, to wheeling and all the fun hobby things etc. If she grows up to be a big shot fashion designer.. or a doctor, I want her to still have a healthy respect for the guy who is getting an eye full of grit while changing the oil in her car.. or the guy who digging the hole for her new hot tub. You get the drift. So, when she shows an interest in the often mistaken, "boy things" .. I usually encourage her to give it a try if she wants.

As for the groin deal .. she already has one, full on, school yard "punch", under her belt. :doah: But it was delivered, to a kid that was hurting her, and had done so on a few occassions... and it put an end to that. :o

I'm looking forward to getting the K5 done this winter, so we can get some good wheelin' time in this spring/summer. she's too young to remember me and her (never wheel alone :wink1: ) wheeling my old K5 in west Texas. She sort of remembers some of our wheeling fun in my truck, but I stopped wheeling it when I got the K5 to build. She's enjoyed some of the recent (small) trips we've done in the H3. I think her little sister likes the wheeling a bit more than she does though. :D And the little one follows me around and wants to help me work on everything. Now, if I could just keep her from spitting on the ground every time I do, I'd be OK. :doah:

18. Confedneck79K30

awesome man!!! wtg!!

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thats great!

with out teaching the new generation quality things like this will just die out!

great job :D