Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Proud Mom

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Donna, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Well......I just needed to brag about my kid a little. As most of you know, my son was born prematurely and also with Cerebral Palsy. As a result of the CP, my son has endured years of therapy, worn glasses since he was an infant,worn braces on his leg almost as long, andhas had as many as 9 surgeries and possibly faces more as he gets older. Despite all he has been through, he is a very determined child. He rarely gives up and trys to be the best that he can at everything he does.

Well, 2 years ago he wanted to join Cub Scouts. We left him but were kinda afarid of how he would be treated by the other boys because of being different in there eyes. He ended up with 2 wonderful leaders and many other members of the pack that have grown to love his smile. His nick name among them all is smiley. He has had to deal with a few ignorant boys with just as equally ignorant parents but he has never left that slow down or change his feelings about Cub Scouts. He loves to go and trys to attend as many activities as he can.

I am telling you all this, because tonight my son graduated from the Wolf Den into Bears and achieved something that no other Scout in the History of our Pack has ever achieved. He not only graduated but he completed EVERY activity in his entire Wolf Badge book. That allowed him to earn 1 gold and 11 silver silver arrow points. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Heck....as part of the ceremony they all receive there books for the next level of advancement. As soon as he received his book, he was looking through it during the rest of the ceremony. Then as soon as we walked in the front door tonight, the first words out of his mouth were " Mom can we look at my Bear book and see what we can get started on now". I hated to tell him no but since it was already past his bed time and tomorrow was a school day I had to break his heart and say we can do it tomorrow. He went to bed pouting but....... Needless to say, I was one very proud parent tonight. Not only because of what he accomplished but knowing that even though in society's eye's he is different and considered to be partially parilyzed (sp) that if he can accomplish this, that any body can.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I sense an Eagle Scout in the making /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Congratulations! He sounds like a great boy!
    Mark

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

How He has turned out is wonderful. And to only have a couple of kid's give Him a bad time is good too! People with disability's are no different than "normal" People. Normal People can turn out to be crappy People.
    Just by giving Kid's like Him a bad time.

Kudo's to You and Your's! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

That's really awesome to hear. Sounds like he's a real trooper and many of us could learn some valuable life lessons from him. Let him keep going in Scouts as long as he wants to. I quit as a Life Scout because it was no longer the "cool" thing to do. I should have made that extra effort to achieve Eagle, but as they say, hindsight is always 20/20. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Give him two big /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for me!

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I sense an Eagle Scout in the making /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Congratulations! He sounds like a great boy!
    Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fuuny that you mention that....his leader said to me and I am quoting her" Donna if Matthew's enthusiasim (sp) towrads Scouting continues down the path he is on now I see hima s becoming one of the elite among the world of Boy Scouts" When I asked her what she meant by that, She siad' He has the potential to become an Eagle scout."

And his asst Scout Master has mentiooned that he will do anything in his power to help Matthew along the way to achieve the goal of Eagle Scout.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

You need to help Him forward [probably won't take much] toward's that objective. Yeah! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Congrats!!

-Jeremy
    "Eagle scout"

9. 87Blazerlady

87Blazerlady 1/2 ton status

You are one courageous boy, Matthew. Congratulations on your achievements. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is wonderful, Donna. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I love hearing about all the great things that kids can do when they really want something.

Great kids come from great parents. Congratulations, Smiley!

[ QUOTE ]
    in society's eye's he is different

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, unfortunately, most people in our society look at highly motivated and intelligent people as being "different".

Disability????????? What disability.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

My hat goes off to him!! I was a Cub & a Webelo Scout. I never went on to try for Eagle. You've got a very special little boy there!! It sounds to me that his enthusiasm & determination feed everyone around him. Take care & give him an "atta boy" from me!!

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Congrats on his graduation and achievements. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to hear someone achieve great things and be so outgoing so young in life.