Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS box vs non-PS?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Aug 22, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This 71 has a manual steering. It looks like the holes line up but will a powersteering box off a gen2 chevy bolt to the frame ok? If so I'll throw a PS pump on it and make life happy. :D

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes, any power steering gear box up to 1980 1st design will work for your year, since you need a gear box and a pump you can use the later ones as well but 1980 2nd design and later used the metric pump with the O-ring lines instead of the flare fitting lines. The only exception is you may need to change the rag joint to the proper one to mate your steering shaft back to the box. GM used two different size input shafts which each requires the respective rag joint to work.

3. MNorby

cool, Thanks. I think i can peice together either a metric or flare setup pretty easy. Thanks!

4. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

ps gear box

so a 84 k30 box and pump will work? it will just have the orings right??? also does anyone know if you can replace them orings? the setup i took off a 84 i parted out i ruined one of the orings.. :( anyhow i want to put the 84 box and pump on my 71 since it is manual steering.. they are both 4wd

Ray

5. MNorby

as long as they match should work o-ring or flare. I took my box and engine and everything from one truck to this one