Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS brace: Weld in or Bolt in?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wstolar, Oct 16, 2000.

1. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

While doing the cross-over steering, I might as well brace the frame at ps box area. Which is better, (and why?) the 'weld in plate' or 'bolt in bracing'? I can't remember who makes the bolt in kit (ORD?), but you guys know what I'm referring to, right?

Walter

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I just put the bolt on ORD brace this weekend and it certainly helped the steering stability on the highway. The ORD product fit well and is very stiff. I think it was $103 including shipping and was easy to install. It worked for me.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The "weld in" repair kit is for repairing the frame when a crack or cracks is present..........the "bolt in" kit is meant to triangulate the frame section in that area to PREVENT the cracking from occuring. Hope this clarifies it for ya........

BTW - http://www.offroaddesign.com makes the bolt in kit, think it is around $95.........and they have the weld in kit available if needed also.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

If you have any cracks at all, I'd go for both kits. If you're just wanting to prevent the cracks, then the bolt-on is the way to go. I've got both kits on mine and am very happy with them and about 99.99% sure that I'll never get another crack.

5. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

Well I have no cracks, so I'll go with the bolt on brace kit. Thanks for the informative replies.

Walter