Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lukerz, Mar 29, 2002.

1. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Can you just use high pressure hose with clamps on power steering?? Any experience out there with this??
    Luke

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can you.....Yes, as long as the fittings at the box and pump are the correct size.

Should you...??? Maybe on a dedicated trail rig, but I would say no (others may agree/disagree). I would think you would have a higher chance of a leak. Not saying the stock hose can't be improved upon, but if you get a good quality stock replacement it will last a long time. It is also made for the application so it routes itself out of the way of harm (pulley's, belts, etc.).

If the hose is rated high enough and the clamping force is great enough, you could make your own, but I'm not sure I would.....to each his own I guess.

Legality might be a question too if it ever failed and somebody got injured/killed. Just a thought. Hope this helps

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, isn't the "out" (to steering box) line something like 300psi? I may be way off on that number, but I thought it was a pretty fair amount. The "in" line is very low, so no problem with clamps and "standard" hose there.

You don't run hose clamps on TPI lines (or I wouldn't) nor did the factory, and thats only in the 30+ PSI range. Granted, thats fuel, but I'd prefer to have neither leak.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I haven't priced these lately, but I am sure you can go to your local hydraulic line supply shop, and bring them the old one, and have them reseat/reset the rubber line and clamps. Here in Sacramento area I would say this will run about $60.00

TO

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think that the power steering pump puts out around 1200-1500 PSI. Those things are pretty stout little pumps!

6. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Standard PS pumps are ~1200 psi and the hydroboosts are ~1500 psi. Go to your parts store, (Idiot Zone, Napa, Car Junk etc...) and get a line. They stock them and should only be about ~$20. You DO NOT want to use hose clamps on the high pressure side. Low pressure side, no problem.

7. lukerz

lukerz 1/2 ton status

Thank you all who replied. I will buy stock highpressure side. And create my own low pressure side. Please Vote!!!