Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ps pulley ? need help within 5 mins!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Jan 21, 2007.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aight so im replacing my ps pump... I noticed that I have the single belt unit. HOwever I have a 198x pump in my possession... the mounting bracket does not match up from my 78 to the 8x so i bought a new pump.... anyhow my question is my 8x pump has a dual belt pulley... I matched them up and the newer one has a bigger pulley.... so would it be bad for me to use the bigger one?

I am curios on the pump... .bigger or littler = more power? if you think about it I replaced my dirtbike sprocket (rear) to the biggest one I could find and that created a less top speed and more torque...

now I know im getting picky with this but just wondering if I should use the stock or newer one...

Thanks
    Jeff

2. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

Using a smaller PS pump pulley is going to spin the pump faster. Thats is a definate.

This is what I think. I don't think it will give you more power one way or the other because I think they are internally regulated to a max pressure.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe steering effort will actually go down. (not good IMO, but probably fine if you wheel hard and need the assist)

GM played around with pulley diameter a LOT in their vehicles, so there is obviously something to the pulley diameter. Even among the same model of vehicle you will find different pulley diameter, for the most part I think GM vehicles of our vintage have too much assist, leading to little road feel and sloppy feeling steering. (coupled with old steering that IS sloppy:))

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah I cant use the other ps pump or hose i was given so i bought new... however I was curious about the pulley as one is bigger... I went with the bigger as it is a dual.. in case I decide a dual alternator or a york setup.....

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine is dual as well, came off of a car. Nice to have for future changes like you mentioned, or just if you have to change other pulleys and they don't all line up...two grooves makes it easier. :)

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The smaller pulley will spin the pump faster and will make low speed steering better but there is a max pressure that can be built so in effect it will help your low speed and do nothing for you on the top end of things, PM tori89k5, he put a smaller pulley on his rig and it made a difference at idle speeds.