Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS Pump Filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stkcode, Aug 14, 2006.

1. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

Just curious if anyone runs a ps filter on the return line? I've boughten 2 reman pumps, one from Kragen and the other from Napa, installed them on 2 different trucks. Each one lasted about as long as my front end alignment :mad:.

Now I'm getting a reman AC Delco from the dealer. The doc for the Kragen/Napa reman pump claims they require a filter on the return line to keep junk from getting in the pump, but our trucks didn't have a filter from the factory so....what'cha think?

I'm getting close to doing the hydroboost swap on my burb and am debating whether or not to put the $3 filter between the ps pump and the gear box return.

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never had good luck with remaned pumps either. next one I buy will be a new one. About the filter I have never seen one on any years of our trucks but it kind of doesn't make alot of sense as the wear a power steering box sees is substantailly less than a trans or engine, or so I would think. Although a filter couldn't hurt I imagine

3. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I installed an inline auto trans filter and a small trans cooler on the return line on my 78' k5 when i installed a new pump about 6 years ago, and even after all this time turning 42's the fluid still looks good. since the cooler was so big, i mounted it on the core support beside the radiator so that there wasn't any airflow over it. That way the fluid still gets hot but doesn't get burned.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have one. I have no idea if it actually helps much, but it seems like cheap insurance.

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

I'm also using an auto tranny filter. I bought it from Napa for $19. It has a filter and a magnet in it. They looked sealed, but there are threads hidden under a sticker. You can open them up and look for particles on the magnet.

6. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The reason i installed the one on mine was to make sure that if there where any metal particles from the old pump grinding it's self to death, that they wouldn't get to the new pump.

7. stkcode

stkcode Registered Member

Thanks for the responces. I like tranny inline filter idea and picked one up from napa today. The hb line pressure will be way up their, around 2600 psi, so the tranny filter shouldn't hinder the pressure (I hope).