Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS Pump interchangablity from small to big block?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by talldogg, Sep 4, 2001.

1. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

I ordered the power steering pump brackets for the 454 Friday and while I was there I asked about the PS pump. According to the computer at the dealership the big block pump is different from the small block (at least the part number is). So my question is, will I be able to use the small block pump on the big block?? Or maybe it's just the pulley that differs? If so, anyone know of a place to get a cheap PS Pump pulley for the big block setup? Big time thanks!

If it doesn't sit on a frame, then it isn't a truck.

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The pumps themselves are the same. depending on the year and application the pulleys do vary. The other variable is that the BBC use a diffferent hose diameter for the remote filler. The BBC uses a three belt pulley. I've only seen two of the belts in use on any truck though so I'm not sure if you can use a SBC pulley. Hope this helps.