Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ps pump pulley puller

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HELLBENT DESIGNS, Sep 22, 2005.

1. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

anyone know of a good one? today i bought a lisle brand one $64 thinking it was the one. i have used a different style that worked great, this one didn't :mad: i followed the destructions and all it did was tear the lip of the pulley :crazy:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Autozone rents them. I rented one 9 months ago and kept it because I seem to use it about every 6 weeks. I use an impact wrench on it though.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i own an offbrand i got off the mac truck.. about $55 if i remember correct.. its the kind with the split retainers that go over the pulley and ya slide a sleeve down to keep them together as ya pull.. its worked pretty well...

4. HELLBENT DESIGNS

any brand name? thanks :D

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got mine from Autozone as well. Think it was like $25. Never had an issue with it. Its whatever brand the rest of Autozone's tools are :D

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have the a/z rental unit as thay rented it and it came back with a pully on it. so thay scraped it. i got it off and still works great to this day.

7. HELLBENT DESIGNS

yeah that's the one i used that worked well! as you suck up the tension the puller has no where to go but to tighten around the pulley! the lisle one only grips one side so as you tighten it it wants to twist to the open side :mad:

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

a/z unit is 3 piece. cup in 2 that pops over grove. then 1 sleeve that holds the 2 halfs together. all with bearing unit in middle with shaft. i have used hand and gun works good.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, i've seen those.. maybe some google searching will give ya a heads up on brands and locations.. if i remember i'll take a peek tommorrow and see what actual brand mine is...

10. HELLBENT DESIGNS

thanks guys i thought i was retarded :confused: ( still am) i kinda expected a " yeah i use that puller all the time no problems, are you stupid" now i know what to look for :D

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I made mine with some old u-bolts/nuts and a little time with my welder. It is fashioned after the Auto Zone rental style and works perfect everytime. I have used it at least 15 times in the last year with no issues

12. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i bought mine at harbor freight for $20, its the same style as the autozone one, 2 pieces fit over pulley and collar goes around them holding them in place.

13. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

That is a sig quote , if I ever saw one :haha: :haha:

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

A warning. I bought a pulley puller from checkers, but it does not reinstall the pulley...what good is that? It cost around $25, and can pull the pulley off, just not reinstall it. If you buy one, make sure to check the specs!

15. HELLBENT DESIGNS

i rented a checker one a couple years ago, it also sucked :thumb: you mean you don't just pound em on with a mallet :whistle:

16. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I went to advanced auto to rent/use one(had the pumps with me) and ended up buying one. Very nice set, has laminated flip chart that tells you how and which one to use. IIRC it was $30-$35. Only have used it once for a buddies truck. It will re-install the pulley aswell.

The two clam shells have different diameter holes for use on different pullies.

I'll post the brand tomorrow, if I remember :rolleyes:

17. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought one of those cheap $20 Chines ones, and the arms that lock around the pully are made of cheap pot metal poured into a mold. When I tried to use it, the 90 degree lip of the arm that locks onto the pully just peeled away like butter. I went to NAPA auto, and bought an American made one for $55, which has arms that are made of cold stamped steel, and it pulled the pully off like it was not even there.

18. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

MAC .
    At least 10 years old used lots never broke allways works.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

sunday puller...

I was in a bind on a sunday once,needed to swap a P/S pulley on a pump so I could drive to work the next day--and had no puller,or any way to get or borrow one...in desparation I tack welded a 1/2" nut to the pulley,and screwed a 1/2" bolt in--came off like nothing!--the pump shaft had a threaded hole in its center,so I used a bolt,flat washer and a nut to draw the pulley back on...I ended up leaving the nut on the pulley--wasn't in the way of anything,didn't seem to bother it none..ghetto,but it worked!..I've used the same trick to get stubborn pulleys off lawn tractor engines and mower decks too.. :crazy:

20. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got one from the local out value. It was 25 ish. Works great have replaced the PS pump on all but one of the vehicles I have ever owned.