Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PS Pump Whining w/ Hydroboost

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Mar 24, 2004.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My pump is making a whining sound, similar to a manual tranny in reverse, now that my hydroboost is installed. My pump is leaking from the front, so I'm going to get the rebuild kit this weekend. Should I do the WTO more volume mod while I'm rebuilding it?

The brakes feel fine, and the steering is fine, except when turning at low RPM's, it's a little tough. 31" tires, no lift.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My pump is making a whining sound, similar to a manual tranny in reverse, now that my hydroboost is installed. My pump is leaking from the front, so I'm going to get the rebuild kit this weekend. Should I do the WTO more volume mod while I'm rebuilding it?

The brakes feel fine, and the steering is fine, except when turning at low RPM's, it's a little tough. 31" tires, no lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say it's on it's way out that's why the whining and the leaks.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So would I be pissing in the wind if I rebuilt this one? Should I just get a reman unit?

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Another question: Should I get a non-hydro pump or a hydro pump? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif the non-hydro is much cheaper...

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

hydro pump... it has three ports... non hydro has two... it puts out a higher stated pressure ... pumps are the same on many model years but the port is closed off on some... buy the hydro and forget the hassle... mine wasnt that much more than a regular pump..
    cam

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Another question: Should I get a non-hydro pump or a hydro pump? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif the non-hydro is much cheaper...

[/ QUOTE ]

Like Cam said, get the hydro.
    I don't mean you can't rebuild yours, but I have found that the rebuild kits lately have become so expensive and the rebuilts are cheaper, so it isn't worth my time anymore.
    I used to rebuild everything, now I buy the rebuilts.
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

10-4! I'll just eat some Ramen for a few days to cover da cost....oh wait I already do that... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif