Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PSI for 35's 12.5 on 8" wheels

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jul 1, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

PSI for 35\'s 12.5 on 8" wheels

I got 35x12x5x16 on 16x8 wheels, and my tire seems to be running in the center tread and hot hitting the edges.

These came out of the tire shop at about 45 psi, and I aired down to about 40, but it still seems to be not quite enough. (by the way going down to 40 psi made a real noticable difference in improving ride quaility.)

it looks like I'm going to have to go down to 36-38 to make this wear even. Other then MPG (which I'm willing to sacrifice for the ride quality) are there any other negative aspects to airing down this far???

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Re: PSI for 35\'s 12.5 on 8\" wheels

You should be around 35 psi. I have heard of people going down to 30 psi for even better ride quality.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I ran my Generals at 28 psi for years...they wore even and had a nice ride. They are also 35x12.5's but they're on a 6.75" rim [​IMG]

Spray a little water down on the ground and drive through it, check out how much tire contacts the pavement by the tread marks left. Obviously the goal is to have all the tread surface contacting equally. Keep adjusting the air pressure until it looks right.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys...

I'll have to try that water thing.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

The 4 wheeling mags have said in the past to draw a line across the tire in chock then drive around the block stop and see what is left and adjust your psi from there. I myself run about 30 to 35 psi.

Lost? i'm not lost i'm just disorienated
    Cethern@interfold.com

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, I generally ran about 32psi in my old DTR's with a normal wear pattern. No the Swampers are a different story since they are Bias-plys... I run about 25psi in them.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I run 35 lbs. in front and 30 lbs. in rear. The reason for the 5 lbs. difference is the front half of the truck weighs more than the rear half. So, to 'even' out the ride, I did the 5 lbs. less in rear and it rides just fine. Now, if only I can change over to adjustable Rancho 9000 shocks............[​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Check what the tires are rated for. Some of the big sizes are rated for 50psi and others for 35psi. My old Good Year ATs were 50 psi & I ran them at 40. My General ATs were 35 and I ran them at 32. My BFG MTs are 35 and I run them at 33 F and 30 R, unless I am doing a lot of road driving then I put them at 35 F and 32 R.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>