Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PSI on BFG's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Aug 13, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

PSI on BFG\'s

What psi is good to run in 33 12.50 15 BFG AT's on the road?
    And what a good psi off offroad?

2. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

Re: PSI on BFG\'s

the tire place set mine at over 40 when i bought them. it rode quite stiff so i have lowered them to around 30 for the street. off road cant help every time i plan a trip the damn truck breaks down. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

only put around a thousand miles on them since last november so i reaaly cant say how it effects the wear.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

may not be the same but with my goodyear mt/r's i run 32 onroad and 15 offroad.

4. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

What width rims are you running?

You will get different PSI for different rim widths and different load carrying capacity.

A stock Blazer vs a 1 ton Big Blocked, all accessories Blazer will make a different weight truck, and will need a different PSI in the tires.

On my 35 12.5 16.5s I run ~26-30 PSI on the street. This is because I have 16.5 x 8" rims. A wider rim, I will probably have more PSI.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm running 30 front 28 rear on 35's that are rated 35 psi max. So far they are wearing even. WHen I trailer I run 30 30.

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

On my susburban 33s.. I run at almost 50 psi. With anything lower, they bulge real bad.

These are 16.5s.

Ken H.

7. BJarvis354

BJarvis354 Registered Member

Here is the spec sheet from BFG for the A/T KO.

I run like 35~40 PSI on the road, cause otherwise the seem soft and mushy on the highway. Max for me is 50.

Brady

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

First thing first....read the sidewall. Some BFG's are rated 35 PSI max and some 50PSI max. My set of 32's and my wies set of 31's are rated 50PSI. THe factory rally is only rated 40PSI. I ran the 32's for FIVE years and about 30k. At 36 front and 34 rear the wore dead even accross the tread. Now when you look at the PSI rating it will read something like "Max load of 2430lb at 35PSI". That per tire so all four tires combined could hand almost 10,000 lb! K5 depending on how much junk you have in it only weighs about 5500lb with 2 adults. If you run 35 psi it's going to rattle your teeth out because there is not enough weight to let the radial tire do it's thing. It's also balooning the tread and causing the center to wear faster.
    THERE is no reason to run Max pressure on the tire...if you got that much weight IN the truck the truck is grossly over loaded.
    Bulge is not a bad thing on a radial tire....it's a normal thing. Running to much air pressure will wear out the center of the tread. Too little whe wear out the shoulders faster. For a K5 on a large tire like a 33 if the side wall say's 35 max then 28-30 seems about right for me. THe heavier the truck the higher PSI you need to run. Keep a close eye on the tire wear...the fronts will wear the shoulders faster because they tak a lot more lateral loading when your turning. Keep them rotated and the back tires are the better gage if your running the right air pressure.

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Run as little as you can off road. For normal off-roading, I run 10 pounds and rarely blow one off. In real deep snow I go to 4~5 pounds without beadlocks. Got to be careful at that pressure. If you hit some bumps you can here the tire "burp" but it makes a huge difference between 10 and 5 pounds.