Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Psycho Road Warrior Kinda Roll Cage!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Oct 19, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm going to make a cage for my blazer outta 1.75 .120 wall tubing, chromolly if possible. I want to tie in near the dashboard, behind the front seats, and at the rear of the truck. All tied into the frame with custom mounts. Not too strange huh??

Now I've always liked external cages and I know most don't feel the same. But I like the raw aggressive look of it. Like the D90's and a lot of hybrid trucks. PLUS: They're functional. So your nice cage protects you and of course that is priority #1, but your truck is all smashed to hell. I don't mind some bed damage, but when my hood wont open and my doors won't close that sucks.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing in addition to my cage. Building my stout front bumper out of 3x5 1/4" rect tubing...taking two pieces of that rollcage material and bending them like so. Weld to front bumper, go up grill, over fender where the hood will still open, up the winshield frame, over the cab of the truck and then through the half top where it will tie in with the main internal cage. Use some rubber type of boots to seal out water, cutting the hole quite a bit bigger than the tubing for body flex. That way I can still run a soft top. Horizontal bars at winshield frame top and bottom, at the hood line, and at the rear of the cab. Then maybe another set of legs going through the cowl to the frame if at all possible.

Am I off my rocker here, or does anyone get what I'm talking about? Not a full external frame because a blazer is wide enough as is. Just a cab and frontend protector. Whatcha think? Maybe I should draw up a crude pic....

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

Ok OK quit laughin. That's a 3 minute chop job. I do know that I'm NOT doing it in blue.

Opinions anyone? (and not on my photoshop skills or lack thererof)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

3. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

You got one hell of a project, don't ya. Personnaly I think it's a pretty sweet idea, hope to be able to see it finished. Good luck!

"I can get us outta this, just gonna take a whole lotta floorin'!"

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>Go for it !!!! I'd like to see it when it's done !! I'm sure Max would approve !!</font color=purple>

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I have thought about this many times. I'd love to do it![​IMG] A 'cage is in the works right now, and I may do the external 'cage also.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Looks like you've got a task ahead of ya there. You've got one hell of a garage there too! I wish I had that much room to work on my projects.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

7. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I kinda like blue!

Seriously though, you should use a cage like the one on a Land Rover as a model for your cage, they've always looked pretty cool to me.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys, well the main thing is that I'm broke right now, but metal to do these things is practically free. I'll be doing custom half doors this weekend and next week, then bobbing the bed, adding a fuel cell (yeah that will cost but not much), custom bumpers, rock sliders, and a cage. Then sometime after christmas when money flows a little more freely maybe I'll get the damn thing running. Or bite the bullet and take out a loan. Anyway, I'm always dreaming up something and I think I just may pull this one off.

And Dblazer, it looks like we're on the same page about a lot of stuff. We need to talk shop sometime, I'm in Dallas now and then.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

10. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Laketex
    We need pics and a tech article for the half doors and bobed rear, that would be cool. Also, what would look cool is a migit riding on the hood with a spiked collor and nose ring, sort of a mad max thing.

[​IMG]
    5,000 Pounds of American Rolling Steel

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Hey LT, make the drive up to Tulsa and I'll show you a cage on a blazer that'll bring a tear to yer eye. It's sitting at a place called wagoner machine. It's kinda tore down right now, but the thing is BADASS!!!! The guy that built it has a WICKED rock buggy running 2 (yes 2!) 203's and a 205. He's up in claremore. If ya want to make the drive, we can run out there and I promise, you'll go home with all the ideas you need. TRUST ME!!!

Kyle
    89K5

12. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

This is kind of off topic a bit but have any of you guys tried using one of these before;
    [​IMG]
    If you have do they work very well???

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey Laketex
    DoNOT use chromMoly for your cage! I have read that chrommoly doesnot absorbe the impact of a roll over like a colerole STEEL tube(seamless tube)does. I will try to find the metal specs I'm thinking of that states the FACTS on this topic.
    Good luck with your project!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I saw a blazer with close to that treatment at Dixie run The guy tied into the roof not through the half top.
    As for the bender...yeah I have a friend with that bender and after playing with it he figured out how to make it work without tearing up the tube. he cut some half rounds to put over the tube where the rollers go to keep from making dimples and you have to work around your bend as in start the bend move the pipe an inch bend some more. If you don't do that then it will mess up the inside of the bend and get that muffler bender look. To answer your question yes it works but not great. The larger diameter the pipe the more problems you will have.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

15. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

The reason I asked about the pipe bender is it is available from Harbor Freight for $89. Does that sound like a decent price or is it too hard to make it work right, so that the low price doesn't really matter?

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

16. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

that looks pretty good but i was thinking you should make the bar that goes across the fender near your hood lower down because i hit a big boulder wheeling one day and that bar you have would be to high to help

<font color=green>SMP</font color=green>[​IMG]

17. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

that looks like a cool idea, now you cn literaly roll it back on its wheels and drive away. why dont you make it completely bolt on. that way you can unbolt when your just driving around and bolt in on when you wheel. and i agree with burt4x4, do not use chromoly, use regular steel. chromoly is more brittle, it will break rather than bend and absorb on hard impacts.

grim, i have heard that filling the tube tightly with sand and then bending it prevents weird things happening.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

18. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    If you want to make a decent cage stay away from these. They are made for pipe not DOM tubing. They tend to kink pipe and are not too good for repeat bends. Check out http://www.pro-tools.com/product_lines.htm for the real deal.

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

When looking for a bender, also try http://www.jd2.com

I lucked out and have a friend with a friend with one. You know how that stuff works. He's into circle track so we'll whip something up soon.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

20. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

hey guys, if chromoly is a problem, why do the dirt track and drag racers use it as a general rule? I fully planned to look into properties and characteristics of all metals before I make my final decision. Any hard facts? I'm assuming I cant make it outta aluminum??? haha [​IMG]

Steve---like the mad max thing, just my style. On the doors, yeah I could do a write up. I'm doing them a little different than I assume most people would, but I'll take plenty of pics and see what we can come up with. On the bobbed bed, I'm assuming that most folks want to just cut a piece out of the bed and weld it back together. Well I plan on chopping the back off, and filling the gap with a metal piece with custom taillights, tailgate, and b/u lights. A little different, but hey if you're still interested in such a write up, I could do that too I'm sure.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok