Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Psychology

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jul 21, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've studied psychology a little. A few months ago, I started studying it as a science/industry instead of as a student of it.

Friggin amazing. We are sheep. All we need is something to cling to. The more I grow up, the more I'm amazed and depressed to observe the lack of truth in the world, and people's extreme tendency to grasp what they've heard as what they've learned.

For example, I wonder how many people still believe chemical imbalances are a true cause for mental health issues. It's been hammered into our heads as if it were a scientific fact for the last 20 years, but in truth, it's a theory that's debatable as even good. But the company's that sell balance-restoring chemicals pay the advertising dollars, and hammer it hard enough to convince educators, who propagate the lie.

Surprisingly, Tom Cruise, who I always thought was an idiot/mindless celebrity, has done the same thing I'm doing, then he went and talked about it on TV, and now the psychiatric industry is trying to fillet him. One psychiatrist even insulted his acting abilities, which seems just a little childish and pinch-backish to me.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

So, whats your take on chemical imbalances? :ears:

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

while i tend to think the whole chem inbalance thing is over stated, it is worth noting that the theory hasn't been disproven. Its still being debated, so there may yet be something too it. One thing Cruise was right about though, people are WAY over medicated these days... and psycho-ligists are a big part of the problem.

j

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Good thread guys, lets see how long we can keep it out of the dirt, this is one of the reasons I'm trying to move farther away from society at large and keep my sons feet well planted in self help, rather than a "food and supplies come from the store and I'm ADHD and need my meds" I'm helpless mentallity... :wink1:

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I whole heartedly agree. It seems that 99% of "mental" problems people have can be more easily attributed to a learned behavior or habit, as opposed to some type of "chemical imbalance" or brain disorder. Think of the typical out of control kid you see in the super market,mall, etc. You'll see a parent nearby ignoring the fact that their child is raising hell. What ever happened to a good pop in the a$$ when your child started acting like an idiot? I know I had my share.

John

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes..too many pills...

I blame doctors and drug companys for the state our health care system is in..doctors are nothing more than legal pushers,and the drug companies are the dealers--of course they encourage you to "ask your doctor if this drug is right for you!")--so they can get you addicted,and you have to buy the pills for life!..the drug companies "OWN" congress,and all the doctors and hospitals..

They give free trips to Bermuda to the doctors who sell the most drugs...and make sure any "natural" or herbal cures are banned by the FDA ,because they cant patent them,and make money off them!(plus the fact they work BETTER in many cases than drugs,and have no side effects,and are not addictive)..I'm amazed at what I read about the cancer industry,and how they have supressed many cures for it,since its such a moneymaker for the health care industry..

I've had my share of depression,some severe--but I refuse to take Zoloft or any similar "brain chemical balancer" or whatever their drugs are...I think a lot of people on antidepressants are MORE miserable,and more likely to "flip out" and go crazy on them than someone who does not take them...after seeing what a wreck they made out of my older sister with "therapy" and "anti-depressant" medication,I will take them only if forced at gunpoint!..They finally admitted they are likely to INCREASE suicidal tendencies in teens!...now THATS a helpful drug,ain't it???

I dont beleive in psycologists either..I think some people are just nuts..period!--no drug,counciling,shock therapy,is going to change them--its in their genes,its the way God made them--not much anyone can do about it but THEM...they have to WANTto change,or it will never happen--sadly,many who are that bad off never do get any better--but are fed enough "medication" to keep them dopey and docile..you cant make an "abbynormal" brain normal if you ask me.... :crazy: :crazy:

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

While I do agree that medications are completely out of control and it's easier to throw a band-aid cure at someone rather than really figureing out what the issue is, but life has been much nicer around here since my wife started taking anti-depressants.

We used to fight like cats and dogs for a while there. Now not nearly as much.

We still have little differences now and again, but not the knock down drag outs since she started taking them.

Just a thought thrown in for discussion.

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I never did like Tom either, or anyone from Hollywood for the matter, and I was suprised when he talked about it on TV.

Off topic - but remember when Tom got sprayed in the face with water from the water gun/microphone during an interview? I saw it on the news and the reporter said Tom cruise "blew up", but I think he handled it very well, far better than I would have.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well.....................................

The chemical imbalance theory holds a lot of water and I'll tell you why.........

Some of you may know that in my previous job when I was working Fresno County, and to some degree the job before that, I came into contact with people in the mental health system quite frequently. When I worked for Fresno County, I was around them a lot, pretty much almost everyday for about the last 3 months I was there. All of that time just sitting there and observing and paying attention to "stuff," I would agree that a lot of those people had some sort of chemical imbalance in their bodies. Unfortunately, that chemical imbalance was not something that happened normally; but due to the person and their "lifestyle" of introducing unnatural chemicals to their bodies and overdoing it, they got their chemical imbalance. :D

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

X2

Rene